Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Yet another Ebay Mare! (but only £45 worth)
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bought some ‘Lowa Boots Black Waterproof Gore-tex Zip-up Snow Winter ~ Size UK 9 1/2’ on Fleabay in April this year with the intention of using them this winter for sea fishing off the pier. Paid with PP, delivery was quick, they fit fine & felt warm enough so I left positive feedback & chucked them in the cupboard.
    I’ve used them twice (exactly twice) since the start of November & the soles are falling apart. I reckon I must have walked at most 1km in them, from the car onto the pier & back, twice.
    I emailed the seller asking for a refund saying they weren’t fit for purpose & that I was now dubious about their authenticity. She didn’t reply after 2 days so my wife emailed her about another item she had for sale & guess what, she got an answer within 5 hrs. So I mailed her again, once more voicing my concerns. I also mentioned, rightly or wrongly, that I had spoken to a family member who’s a trading standards officer about the issue (he said what I already knew, to speak to her first)

Soon after I received the following email….

Your email has raised several points and I will endeavour to answer each in order.
    Yes I did receive your message through eBay yesterday and due to its content, it was not one I could answer quickly. I would have contacted you very soon and it was not necessary for you to get your wife to fish for a response from me. I needed to acquaint myself with your purchase and the condition of the boots etc.
    The Lowa boots were 100% authentic. You were happy when you received the boots. You have owned them for approximately 8 months. How often you have or have not worn the boots is impossible for me to know. How they have been treated over 8 months is impossible for me to know. I could take your word for it, but you seem rather underhand in your manner for me to trust your word. I have come to this conclusion due to 1) asking your wife to contact me regarding a bogus issue 2) attempting to intimidate me by saying you have a friend in Trading Standards 3) threatening my good standing with my eBay feedback, which is against eBay regulations. Have you forgotten you have already left me positive feedback which can’t be withdrawn?
    Any way, back to the issue of the boots. You have owned them far too long to be able to expect, or in your wording ‘demand’ a refund.
    If you have any other course of action please take it without contacting me in such an intimidating and threatening manner.

For a start, yes I was happy when I received the boots which is why I left positive feedback.
    Oh yes, I always wear winter snowboots in the summer months don’t I?
    I don’t have a ‘friend’ in trading standards (ok so he is a friend but he is also my BIL)
    I didn’t ‘demand’ a refund, I said I expected one.
    Anyway, I’ve emailed Lowa to see if they can clarify if they ever even made that style of boots in the first place & if they didn’t I’ll be reporting her to Ebay.

Well, you gets what ya pays for I suppose. 😕

letmetalktomark

I share the sellers thoughts and posistion.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£45 for gore Tex boots sounds worryingly cheap…and you don’t know if it’s a genuine model of theirs?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bregante

For me this would depend on whether the seller is a “business” selling more than one pair of the boots as new items (in which case I would expect some form of redress) or if it’s a private seller who sold on a single pair of boots regardless of whether they were in new or used condition (in which case I’d expect the response that you got)

tjagain

Sorry – after 8 months nothing you really can do ebay or not.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OP cant be serious?

pyranha

My first reaction is that 8 months is a long delay before querying a purchase.

Secondly, there has been a thread on another forum about people buying, or rediscovering, old boots and finding that they fall apart fairly quickly. I think the conclusion was that the glues used to bond the bits of sole together deteriorate over time and you could simply be beyond the ‘life’ of the boots.

legend
    Free Member

Did you buy off a business or a person? If it’s the latter then give it up, I’d tell you to sling your hook after 8 months too.

If it’s a business then that would change things a little. could get in touch with the UK agents to get them to check if the boots are real or not.

footflaps

Yep, after 8 months it’s just bad luck tough.

£45 for gore Tex boots sounds worryingly cheap…and you don’t know if it’s a genuine model of theirs?

Not really, I sold some £300 Ski boots I’d used twice, got the princely sum of £45 for them! Some stuff just doesn’t have much 2nd hand value.

onandon
    Free Member

Op, jog on. Way too late to do anything. If I were the seller, I wouldn’t have bothered responding to you.
    And I totally agree that the glues deteriorate with age even of not used.

I collect old nikes and they can be as new but fall apart after a single use.

Chalk it up to Experience and but something else.

ampthill

I think it boils down to 2 options

You bought the boots new from a retailer. If so the sale of goods act applies and you have a case. The fact that the retailer uses ebay makes no difference

You bough them used from a private seller in which case you don’t have any grounds for redress

PS I think that unless you are sure she was deliberately selling fake goods it would be harsh to pursure through ebay for selling fake goods

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If it’s a business then that would change things a little. could get in touch with the UK agents to get them to check if the boots are real or not.

‘Coz £150 boots can often be had for a mere 45 notes. 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

I share the sellers position.
    +1000
    Come on Op really !!

frankconway

Maybe just buy on ebay only when you need item and intend to use soon.
    Understand OP as I would be equally dissatisfied if product was not fit for purpose but…..time elapsed is, well, extended so understand response from seller.
    Hmmm – memo to self…….

legend
    Free Member

Coz £150 boots can often be had for a mere 45 notes

I didn’t say the agent would entertain anyone 🙂

(Although some agents do sell returns/flaws on eBay for cheapness)

skids
    Free Member

Never buy branded clothing from ebay unless the seller has a brick and mortar store, there is no reason to think the goods would be genuine otherwise

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

She’s registered as a business seller.

They were advertised as new.

could get in touch with the UK agents to get them to check if the boots are real or not.

You didn’t read the whole of my long drawn out post did you? (I’m waiting to hear from Lowa.)

And I totally agree that the glues deteriorate with age even of not used.

Err, right. At what age would glue deteriorate? The boots are 7 months old.
    Should I have worn them for summer fishing do you think? (Goretex/winter/snow may be a little hint at why I didn’t) Me & the Mrs have Lowa walking boots & even after 8-9 yrs the glue seems pretty much intact.

We’ll see what Lowa come up with in the 1st instance.

legend
    Free Member

You didn’t read the whole of my long drawn out post did you? (I’m waiting to hear from Lowa.)

Nah must’ve given up by that point. You’ve emailed Lowa or TKC? Do you not know what model of boot it was you supposedly bought?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Which model? Were they Expectations?

winrya
    Free Member

I’m with the seller I’m afraid. Too long from sale to complaint and for £45 not worth the hassle

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

kuh!
    What a whinger! You need this:

[video]https://youtu.be/8txbSoL3gDo[/video]

oink1
    Free Member

OP – Served!! 😀 Sorry!

angeldust
    Free Member

8 months after purchase means you are probably just going to have accept you have wasted your money unfortunately. Put it down to experience and the risk you take when buying something cheap. Assuming the seller is genuine (may just be moving on goods they don’t know are shoddy) I can understand their stance. Why not post your (unedited) message to her on here so we can decide if you were a dick?

angeldust
    Free Member

There wasn’t a puddle of toxic waste on the way to the pier was there?

trail_rat
    Free Member

7months in your possession and you started using them but how old are the boots really

Uv, age and temperature all kill rubbers and glues.

xico
    Free Member

Sorry, OP, but I’m with the seller on this one and I’m surprised she even took the time to reply.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

The seller was far politer to you than I would have been.

YABU 😀

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Why not post your (unedited) message to her on here so we can decide if you were a dick?

Seconded, especially as the OP has posted the seller´s email in its entirety.

garyfisher
    Free Member

Too late to hassle the seller. If they are comfortable then take them to your local shoemender and get them to re-glue the soles

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Sorry to say you are an eBay nightmare customer !

8 months and now you’re complaining!

Get real OP !
    £45 you’ve probably spent more on costa coffees in that time !

With the seller here

Superficial
    Free Member

Err, right. At what age would glue deteriorate? The boots are 7 months old.

A few years from the date of manufacture. If the seller is getting rid of old stock then it’s possible that the boots were already 3-4 years old when you got them.

If they’re a true eBay shop then I think you have a case. Surely it’s just a matter of reporting it to eBay though?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Another one for the seller camp if anyone’s keeping count.

cranberry
    Free Member

For balance, lets see the email that you sent her.

Northwind

Don’t think either is coming out of that well tbh but personally I wouldn’t take the seller’s aggressiveness as a good sign.

Since they were sold as new by a business seller, normal warranty routes should be open to you? 8 month lapse makes no odds there.

gauss1777
    Free Member

One vote for the op here.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The warranty period on Lowa shoes is 12 months. Tell her you’d like to submit them for warranty and if she refuses raise the issue with eBay and Lowa. Of course you aren’t being unreasonable, you’re still within Lisa’s warranty period and your boots fell apart.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Don’t think either is coming out of that well tbh but personally I wouldn’t take the seller’s aggressiveness as a good sign.

What aggression? As said, she’s being far politer than most of us would have been…

gonzy
    Free Member

tjagain

8 months lapse does make a difference Northwind. Up to 6 months its for the retailer to show its not a manufacturing fault, after 6 months its up to the buyer to prove it is a manufacturing fault. NO right to a full refund after 30 days now anyway

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

A few years from the date of manufacture. If the seller is getting rid of old stock then it’s possible that the boots were already 3-4 years old when you got them.

I’ve had this issue with a few pairs of shoes/boots over the last few years. The sole of a pair of Salomon hiking boots that I’d not used for about 5 years disintegrated when I did. The sole on a pair of Blundstone boots just came off in lumps.

Given that most of the plastic waste we produce will be in near identical condition in a couple of millenia it’s a bit surprising that some of the materials used in modern kit break down so quickly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Yet another Ebay Mare! (but only £45 worth)’ is closed to new replies.