Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yet another car recommendation thread
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Your suggestions would be welcomed. 🙂

Our 52 plate Ford Ka is starting to rust (it had an advisory note on its MOT 11 months ago about this) and I’m considering replacing it, but want something that:
    -has four doors
    – can accommodate two dogs (one lassie-collie size, the other springerspaniel size) in the boot
    – will be not-too-god-damned-expensive to insure my 17 year old daughter to drive
    – will cost me about £3k – £5k second hand for a not too old one, so that I can pay it off pretty quickly (before the daughter goes to Uni!)

We already have a Passat estate as our other car.

I’m thinking Ford Focus maybe? Not sure if it meets the dog criteria…

headfirst
    Free Member

cor blimey, nearly off the front page already and no replies! 😕

Pieface

Mazda 3, should be able to get one for about £5k. Loads more toys than the focus, same platform as focus, made in Japan, better quality feel than the focus and not as common.

starsh78
    Free Member

Got a 2008 fiesta for sale as of next week?

1.4 zetec in white, grey fabric interior, Mot last week, Tax the week before, 18k on the clock its at ford today for the major 3 year service 🙂

too small?

midlifecrashes

It’s the 17 year old insurance, think of a number, double it and add a zero. Fiat Panda?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mazda 3, should be able to get one for about £5k. Loads more toys than the focus, same platform as focus, made in Japan, better quality feel than the focus and not as common.

Seriously don’t. Bought one from new 4.5 years ago and had lots of problems with it (electrical, suspension, brakes). The suspension problems (uneven and quick tyre wear) and brake problems (DSC faults) are common problems but despite that Mazda are reticent to sort under warranty. I certainly wouldn’t buy another nor recommend one to anyone.

We are selling ours at the end of the summer if you want one though – low mileage, 2.0l Sport variant.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

starsh – 5 dr or 3 dr? How much? Pictures?

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers, will get back on autotrader website with these suggestions.

Starsh: too small? probably…what you gonna price it at?

Pieface

MF – I ended up buying a Seat Leon, but the 3 was on the short-list.

clubber
    Free Member

Very happy with our 06 Focus LX 1.6 Petrol which would be right in your budget range. Reliable, decent to drive, cheapish to insure and relatively cheap to fix if you need to.

starsh78
    Free Member

probably around 5k

maybe even 5k dead, an old fella had it before us, we got it with 8k on the clock last june (i think it was june)

just seen you need 4 doors, this one only has 3 holes 🙁

but small cars are the way to go if you want cheap insurance, fiesta’s come in 1.25 size too, but take a week to get to 60…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Pieface – we looked at the Seat too but didn’t like the interior. I would have preferred the Ford (have always liked Fords) but it was my wife’s choice and she liked the styling/interior on the Mazda.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yet another car recommendation thread’ is closed to new replies.