Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Yesterday I mostly… shotblasted the mrs' car :(
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Parked up at Glenshee for a hill run.

Conditions were somewhat windy, and the car park is made of sand/gravel type stuff.

On return to the car ~3.5 hours later, was met with this:

Back window and door mirrors smashed, pretty well all panels and glass thoroughly stonechipped. Inside of windscreen chipped.

Arse.

footflaps

Ouch!

Toddboy
    Free Member

😯

Just how windy was it?

jam-bo

ouch. heard of dust storms trashing cars in iceland but not in scotland…

rickmeister

Someone land a helicopter ?

Pigface
    Free Member

Friends have had two cars written off in America by hail damage.

Never seen anything like that in the UK. What do the insurance people say?

khani
    Free Member

Ouch!
    Reminds me of when I used to work in a food factory, one of the managers turned up in the tray washing bay with his new Jag and grabbed a pressure washer to clean it, turned out it wasn’t a pressure washer but a steam lance..
    It turned silver from the front wing to the rear quarter on the drivers side and British racing green everywhere else..

fasthaggis

It would have been gusting well over 45mph up there yesterday.
    I thought it was bad enough driving down to Edinburgh on the A9,then I saw one of these coming down a slip road. 😯

Very brave(or stupid)

benp1

Wow, if it wasn’t for the picture I’d have struggled to believe that!

jam-bo

someone doing donuts in the car park?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I was just about to suggest exactly the same as Jam Bo

geoffj

It was a bit breezy @ Glenmore, with record wind speeds recorded on Cairngorm summit.
    Made the Triathlon swim in Loch Morlich look like fun 😯

matt_outandabout

It was a *tad* breezy up here yesterday.

Do bear in mind that if yesterday occurred south of Watford, we would have a national emergency being declared and social media in ‘Oh. My. Gawd.’ meltdown.

Unlucky OP.

I got back from a ride to find my car covered in small branches – no damage, but a reminder of how windy it was.

jam-bo

Do bear in mind that if yesterday occurred south of Watford, we would have a national emergency being declared and social media in ‘Oh. My. Gawd.’ meltdown.

you’d think the wind would have blown that chip off your shoulder. 😉

matt_outandabout

No chance. It’s too big. 😆

benp1

Not the same, but I was canoeing on a canal in London yesterday. The wind was making things tricky but what I really noticed was the way that the wind was picking up the dust on the gravelly towpath and blowing it in big dusty clouds down the path, surprisingly big ones, and that was in London.

Must have been horrendous in That Scotland

NZCol

Wow !

chrissyharding
    Free Member

I seen on countryfile weather, 115 mph on Cairngorm.

donald
    Free Member

Reminds me of the time we got down to the Glenshee car park to find the University minibus windscreen smashed in. It being February, the driver had to wear goggles and balaclava all the way back to Aberdeen.

corroded
    Free Member

I got 37 wind-assisted PRs on my road ride yesterday. Unfortunately so did everyone else, so no KOMs…

stuey
    Free Member

“a sticker will cover that” 😳

stevied
    Free Member

Windy-enough to blow a 17,000 tonne oil rig ashore 😯

cokie

😯 looks photo shopped. Incredible that wind could rip it from it’s moorings. The surface area is fairly small.

jam-bo

it wasnt moored. it was on tow.

stevied
    Free Member

The surface area is fairly small.

It was under tow and go became detached from it’s tug boat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37007656

cokie

Ah. that makes more sense.

The Transocean Winner was being towed from Norway to Malta.

That’s been blown & pushed quite some way!

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I drove through Glenshee yesterday, and it was like going through a hail storm, except the hail was stones…

TiRed

In-laws have a dimpled Volvo estate after gobstopper-sized hailstones fell in France the night we left a few summers ago. They were big enough to smash roof tiles, let alone dent a few panels! The garden furniture fared less well.

njee20
    Free Member

In-laws have a dimpled Volvo estate after gobstopper-sized hailstones fell in France

More aero. #marginalgains

allan23
    Free Member

Wow, I’d seen that Glenlivet were advising to stay of the trails due to dangerous wind speeds.

That’s pretty stunning.

scuttler

At OP 😮

I like this pic from the Beeb article

Captions please!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

What do the insurance people say?

We won’t be finding out – it would need a respray, new light units and most of the glass replaced. It’s 10 years old, so they’d just write it off.

She’s had it since new and it’s a cracking wee car, so worth more to us as it is than a couple of grand or whatever they value it at.

I’ll replace the rear window and the mirrors and be done with it.

Could try and go the cat C buyback route (did that with my old 90 after I bent the chassis), but it’s probably not worth losing the no claims over.

Check out the stonechippage, mmmmmmmm:

slimjim78
    Free Member

It’ll be more aerodynamic now – like a golf ball.

New rear glass and you’re good to go.

solamanda
    Free Member

Can you use the windscreen/glass cover of your insurance policy to replace the rear window? That shouldn’t affect your no-claims.

matt_outandabout

Captions please

Is that the pub opening?

ctk
    Free Member

No way! Unbelievable.

My insurance allows me to replace a window without losing no claims but I have to pay £100 excess.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Yea the insurance is covering the rear window, £75 excess.

Not the end of the world in the scheme of things, never would have expected that kind of damage though!

RE captions:

‘Shit, there’s the press! Better look busy…’

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I see no ships!

That’s because you’re looking inland you fool!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I can see my house from here

OP Ouch ! Mini tornado ? We get them quite a bit down South, have seen a few whilst out sailing – impressive and slightly terrifying at the same time. Car looks in very good knick, new window and some t-cut (metallic ?) and its good to go

garage-dweller

captions please

More of a tabloid headline

RIGiculous
    Coastguard can’t find missing oil rig

A spokesman said “we sent our man out to find the missing oil rig. After an extensive binocular sweep of the area he was only able to find a Derek but unfortunately that one wasn’t missing”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Yesterday I mostly… shotblasted the mrs' car :(’ is closed to new replies.