Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Yes, I know the one that fits best, but road/peak less helmet recommendations?
  • geoffj

….for a fat head?

I fancy a new one. What u got?

Superficial
    Free Member

Spesh Prevail or S3. Just try some on

I have a pretty big swede and I find that roadie helmets in particular look daft on me unless the fit is good. So try them on, and buy from your local bike shop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He’s right, you know. Very much so.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hatter

Large melon here as well, been wearing large Giros for years as they were the only lids that didn’t make me look like something from the mushroom kingdom.

Needed a new road lid last month though and ended up with a large Lazer Z1, first lid I’ve tried that’s as comfy as Giro and the styling’s acceptable too, very low profile. The included aeroshell should get plenty of use this winter.

When it come down to it though, just try a load on and get the one that feels nicest.

Crell
    Free Member

Kask – very clever sizing and retention system which feels really comfortable on. Not the cheapest but there are often sales on (I got mine from on one).

geoffj

Thanks guys.
    Hatter – I’ve had giro and lazer lids too. I

‘ll see what I can track down in the local shops.

Edric64
    Free Member

Kask Mojito is great very light and the fitting is excellent

adsh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to check how they work with shades/glasses.

jam-bo

Giro savant. Can be had for as little as £25 at times. Great helmet, fits my enormous head comfortably.

stumpy01

^^ +1 Giro Savant. Really comfy helmet, probably the most comfortable I’ve had.

Also tried some Catlike ones on in Halfords a while back and they were very comfortable. But, got the Savant gor about £30 down from £60 so was a bit of a no-brainer.

frogstomp

+1 Kask Mojito

lunge

Spec S3 for me, really comfortable, more so than my old Savant.

GrahamS

S3 here too. Very light and venty.
    Only thing I don’t like is that the V-straps around the ear are a fixed length which for me is about right when I wear sunglasses but a bit flappy if I don’t.

cheers_drive

Louis Garnau Course is very comfortable

Yak

Savant again. Light, comfy, well vented and cheap.

ransos
    Free Member

Another big head here – I find Specialized fit me better than Giro.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Just made the switch from Kask to Spec. For me the Spec was cheaper, better fit and feels considerably sturdier although slightly heavier….

parkesie
    Free Member

I use my mtb helmet with the peak on.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t forget to check how they work with shades/glasses.

Definitely, I bought a Kask Vertigo and the retention system doesn’t work very well with oakley glasses. I just can’t seem to get the glasses in a spot where the don’t catch on the side bits on the retention system. Very annoying.

Apart from that its a great helmet, very comfortable and the adjustment is great.

hatter

I’ve had giro and lazer lids too.

Don’t judge the Z1 by Lazers of the past, I tried the old Helium and just couldn’t get on with it but the Z1 is streets ahead fit-wise.

Not cheap but they feel very well made and the aeroshell is a bonus.

MoreCashThanDash

Whatever fits, in your LBS, and comes in a hiviz colour if you will road riding. Hiviz helmets really seem to stand out. Fnar! Fnar!

ransos
    Free Member

I use my mtb helmet with the peak on.

I find the peak obscures my vision when I’m on the drops.

edhornby

I’m a 57/58 and quite a long rather than round shape

I found the boardman pro to be a good fit and good ventilation (RRP is 80quid but I’d be amazed if you have to pay that in halfords there are always discounting options) usually about the fifty quid mark

if I need low sun in winter shade or rain deflection I use a cyclists cap under the helmet

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Yes, I know the one that fits best, but road/peak less helmet recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.