Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • yes another tubeless question
  • andybrad

Ok folks

I’ve recently got a replacement bike for the one I had stolen. Now its come complete with tubeless wheels and tyres! Ive never had these before and I’m a little worried about horror stories of not being able to fit tyres, road side repairs being impossible etc.

Now my biggest worry is getting a flat while on a night ride. I generally go out one a week with the group and getting a flat is quickly sorted with a new tube under normal circumstances. However I don’t want to be the one holding everyone up in the pouring rain so whats the deal. I can carry a tube, is it just a case of unscrewing the existing no tubes valve and poking a tube through? Anything to be aware off? Any special kit needed?

Ive also heard issue with people struggling to inflate them? Should I invest in a co2 canister?

All help appreciated. Tales of woe and doom not so much.
    Cheers

perthmtb
    Free Member

I can carry a tube, is it just a case of unscrewing the existing no tubes valve and poking a tube through?

You take the valve out and the tyre off and put your spare tube in just like if you puncture a normal tubed tyre. Depending on what combination of ‘tubeless’ wheels and tyres you have will determine how easy this is by the side of the trail at night. But as you’re now pumping up a sealed tube rather than a tubeless tyre, and the tube will help the tyre seat properly, its not a big a deal. Point is tho’ that running tubeless you won’t get pinchflats, and small pin-holes should seal with the sealant, so you should rarely flat in the first place.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I was getting flats most rides with tubes. Went tubeless (tho only on the rear) and haven’t had one since I installed it.

I take a tube in case it does all go wrong. Just make sure you check the inside of tyre really well as there may be some thorns in there that would puncture a tube that were dealt with by the sealant.

In short, its awesome. Do it.

Setting up was easy for me as I have access to a compressor so can’t comment on this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Clobber
    Free Member

+1 for checking the tyre for thorns… last time I changed my tubeless tyres I had 10+ thorns in the tyre, no punctures though…

andybrad

cheers guys.

Its stands crest rims with nobby nic tyres. Im not too happy about the tyres but ive got no choice but to run them as ive run out of money.

Do i need to invest in a bottle of sealant? Any tips or anything there. The wheels ant tyres are already done by the previous owner so im already doing it so to speak but not by choice. Do i need spare valves or anything daft. I sriously have no idea what im doing with it.

Android
    Free Member

I have been tubeless since 2006 and have had one puncture that needed a tube in. I have worn out 3-4 inner tubes just rattling around in my saddle bag. If you get a hole slightly bigger than the Stans can cope with, I use the little orange thread things, sometimes with a bit of superglue if the hole is a bit loose. Main thing is to make sure you have juice in there as if you get a puncture and you have already squirted it out with previous punctures, you are pretty screwed. I tend to put a load of juice in my tyres as I figure it just sits in the bottom of the tyre so its not rotating weight.

Was out for a muddy ride on Saturday and we hit a route where the farmer had been cutting the thorn hedges. Score (everyone else on tubes) 7 Me 0 😆 though I did pull a thorn out when I got back.

Clobber
    Free Member

Yes goo is required for puncture protection.

Take your wheel off, hold it vertically for a few seconds to let any fluid drain down to the bottom, then give it a shake and listen for some sloshing. If you can’t hear anything I’d add some stan’s fluid.

Don’t unseat the tyre! Fluid can be added through the valve because it will have a removable core.

Deflate tyre, take out the core, add fluid, put core back in, re-inflate tyre, go ride

dantsw13

I use a syringe from boots to squirt in the sealant.

You do t need a spare valve. If you really want a spare for emergencies, get a knackered old Presta valved tube, and cut out the valve.

Carry a spare tube in your bag for the very rare emergency puncture. To fix, remove tubeless valve, then just treat it as a normal puncture.

Top up the sealant every 3-4 months. Just because there is liquid, there may not be any suspended latex particles left.

If you are struggling to inflate tyres, search the forum for the ghetto tubeless compressor – costs less than £1 to make.

andybrad

Ok so a bottle of sealant is on the shopping list.

do you guys use c02 with your tubeless setups?

why dont you unseat the tyre? im thinking it might be good practice taking it on and off incase of a puncture while out and about?

do you empty the old stuff out before adding more?

I know there daft questions, sorry

zippykona

If you put a tube in don’t forget to check for thorn like you would before tubeless.
    Trying to find thorns in a tyre full of goo is a right PITA.
    Main reason I went back to tubes.

BoardinBob

why dont you unseat the tyre? im thinking it might be good practice taking it on and off incase of a puncture while out and about?

Unseating a tubeless tyre is no more difficult than unseating a tyre with a tube in it. If anything it’s easier as there’s no tube to get in the way.

dantsw13

The biggest issue with tubeless tyres can be getting them inflated. The issue is that the bead of the tyre isn’t seated against the rim – you need a large volume of air to push the tyre beads outwards, forming a seal with the rim. This needs you to either pump like a madman, use a compressor, or use CO2. Once the tyre is inflated, you then need to pump it to a high pressure – usually about 50psi – until you hear a loud pop. This noise is the bead of the tyre seating into the rim of the tubeless rim, making an airtight seal.

The reason people say not to unseat the bead (it will stay seated even when you let the tyre down) is that it makes it MUCH easier to reinflate the tyre. Instead, just unscrew the removable core of the tubeless valve, and squirt in fresh sealant – you don’t need to remove the old, but its a good idea to do so every now and then.

andybrad

think one of those syringes with an adapter is a good idea then?

retro83
    Free Member

andybrad – Member

Ok so a bottle of sealant is on the shopping list.

Yes, but only to initially seat the tyre on the rim. I’m told that co2 ruins the sealant or makes it dry out or something. So it’s co2 to bang it onto the rim, then deflate, add stans jizz and reinflate with track pump. Nice and easy.

dantsw13

I wouldn’t bother with a Stan’s syringe – any old one that can squirt fluid down the Presta valve with the core removed.

jameso

Agreed, I’d try taking the tyre off and re-seating it at home with some soapy water before using sealant, just to check the fit and get familiar with it. Familiarity and practice helps avoid potential faff. My experience with tubeless is that some rim + tyre combos seal with a good mini-pump, others are hopeless. A few layers of tape can help loose tyres seal. Generally I avoid anything that can’t be seated with a basic pump in the garage. (thumbs up for Spesh, Maxxis and Conti UST / TLRs)
    I often have a C02 as back-up but haven’t used in in 6 years of tubeless tyre use. A small bottle (60ml) of latex solution is more useful.
    Most flats that don’t seal with fluid for me have been flint cuts and power-flex superglue and a bit of old inner tube or similar seals that as quick as cleaning out, checking for thorns and popping a tube in. It can be more faff than a tube flat, but it’s a once/twice a year thing these days. Pop one side off, fix, push the bead into place with your fingertips as far as you can to help it seal and pump up as normal.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘yes another tubeless question’ is closed to new replies.