Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • yellow/orange lens eyewear- woz that all about then???
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

whats the benefits? i currently use clear or sunglasses.tell me more…

nickc

In low light or overcast conditions it sharpens your vision because it contrasts green better

sv

Light enhancing – does work IMO, very good for lower light levels. I find less eye strain also.

z1ppy

makes dull days look nice…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Z1ppys right, Its more about making the dull days seem brighter.. so, very usefull at the mo..

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

makes green look greener 🙂

on a serious note the eye is most sensitive to green light so by cutting out some red/blue it enhances the eye's ability to resolve contrast. that's why night vision goggles are always green image (well they ised to be)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nick has it, makes green's look black, so gives a better contrast in low light, as you generaly trying to avoid the green bits and stick to the brown/orange/yellow trail which will be realtively unchanged.

Similarly…….

In B&W photography (or photoshop in colour by adjusting the RBG settings)

-if i took a photo of a tree with a RED lense i'd get a light trunk (red/brown colour) and black leaves.

-if i took a photo of a tree with a GREEN lense i'd get a dark trunk and lighter leaves.

etc….etc….

essentialy whatever colour the lense is, makes that colour easier to see against a mixed background.

odannyboy
    Free Member

so what if you enter dark shadowy woodland for a while,can you still see alright or does it put you at a disadvantage?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

obviously theres less light getting through to your eye, but in theory most of the usefull stuff (i.e. the browns/yellows form the trail) gets through and the greenery is blocked out.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Tagging onto this thread…

I need new lens for my Oakley prescription riding specs.

I use them for night riding (using lights off rd).

Would yellow tinted lens be better than clear at night in pitch black conditions, or better to stick with clear.

Reading threads, seems suggestion is yellow improves overcast conditions, but not right choice for night riding???
    Thanks for any advice that follows…

bigyinn
    Free Member

I'd recommend clear lenses for riding in darkness with lights rather than yellow.

Ratty
    Free Member

agree – no better in pitch dark. It's still a tint, and any tint is a bad idea in proper darkness.

D0NK

Not tried them while biking but I got some orange goggles for snowboarding and they help in flat light (i think it's called) when you get a shadow on the mountain and all you can see of the snow is white blur, no detail. Orange helps quite a lot there.
    Take a look on the oakley site, give you an idea of what different tints will do

stumpy01

As said orange does improve contrast, but even my Blocs with a fairly light tint make it sometimes hard to see when you go into a dark bit of woodland/forest.

Grimy
    Free Member

I find the Yellow tinted lenses perfect for riding through forests in sunny weather. You get just enough tint and all the uv protection to stop the sun blinding you out in the open and good contrast in the darker forest areas, where the yellow tints certainly dont reduce the visability at all, if not improve it. Plus, As mentioned above, everything looks much nicer, much warmer and sunny, so much that when you take them off after an hour or more you end up depressed as **** at how bleak the day really is! lol.

Wookster

I started to wear orange lenses by default my clear ones are well scrached!!!! and I find them fab in the woods or dappled light realy make things clearer. Tried them at night too and they were good too but I'll stick with my new clear lenses. really bright days though I do wear proper sunnie lenses.

I have addidas glasses you can put a script insert in and then you just change the outher lense if your script changes its far less to change the inner lenses than say with oakleys where you change the whole pair of glasses really rate these.

crazy-legs

They're great in overcast or dull conditions, really enhance things.
    They're rubbish at dusk though – as soon as it starts going properly dark you need clear lenses.
    G30's work quite well even down to fairly dull conditions, they reduce glare but enhance the contrast, they work well as an all-round lens.

pitduck
    Free Member

sunny day glasses make me smile 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘yellow/orange lens eyewear- woz that all about then???’ is closed to new replies.