Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • yearly/lifetime mileages?
  • ton

inspired by nedraper’s commuting thread, I did a few sums on my phone calculator, to see what kind of mileage I have done over the years.

anyone keep a yearly or lifetime mileage log?

how far you ridden?

crazy-legs

A guy I used to work with did.
    By the time he left work here, he reckoned he was on about 350,000 miles and having seen some of the rides he’s done and how often he rode (he used to race a lot too) I find that believable.

My SS road bike recently went over the 100,000km mark – I’ve had a computer on it since I bought it and although it’s not the same one since new, I’ve rolled the mileage over.

ton

that is some miles crazy-legs, when you look at some of the mile eater diaries from audax, there are some hellish miles being ridden by some people.

crazy-legs

I should probably qualify that actually…

The guy who reckoned about 350,000 miles was in his late 40’s and he was looking at a lifetime mileage. He’d always been a data geek anyway although obviously it’s much easier keeping track of miles now. He’d ridden dozens of the famous big audax rides too.

My SS road bike I bought in 2003 and that 100,000km is over the last 10 years so actually not a huge amount when you think about it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I appear to have 19,335.2 miles recorded on my Polar HRM between 2002 and 2008 and 11,559.4 miles recorded on various Garmin’s since then, 30894.6 total, but there was about 5 years before that where I didn’t upload my rides.

Edit: the Polar says I climbed 1,860,286 ft and the Garmin says 1,132,272 ft, total 2,992,558 ft or 566.77 miles. 😯

soma_rich
    Free Member

I reckon I do about 4000 miles a year on my bike. Which is plenty 🙂

Simon

No idea on lifetime mileage as I never recorded it until recently. So far this year I’ve done 2064 miles (according to Strava), much more than previous years due to the wonderful summer 🙂

Northwind

If you measure mountain biking in miles, you’re doing it wrong.

Simon

It’s been an awesome year and I’ve enjoyed every one of those miles!

andytherocketeer

^^ define mountain biking

– long all day rides doing a loop out on the hills? (miles quite relevant)

– looping a trail centre and riding the plank? (miles quite irrelevant)

all imho of course.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m more interested in riding my bikes than calculating how many miles I’ve ridden.

miketually
    Free Member

I do about 1000 miles a year commuting, and generally only about 1600 to 1900 miles altogether. Those commuting miles enable the for-fun miles, while being fun themselves.

nedrapier

I’m more interested in riding my bikes than calculating how many miles I’ve ridden.

Obviously. The two aren’t mutually exclusive though. You’re probably more interested in riding your bikes than typing on the internet, too.

Don’t really know how many miles I’ve ridden off road, and as has been said, if you ride a lot of different stuff, it’s not so relevant.

But I was quite interested to find how much 12 miles a day for 3 years added up to. hence my last thread, and this one.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That statement doesn’t make any sense. You can be very interested in riding and very interested in the distance you’ve covered.

I’ve done just under 5000 this year and should do around 6500 by the end of the year which is my annual average. So I’m fairly interested in riding and the numbers.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve got a road/touring bike that’s over 50,000 miles and going strong, mostly commuting over the past ~20 years. Nothing exceptional, but I do smile at the distant memory of some smart-arse telling me “It’ll crack at the headtube” when I’d only had it a year or two (it’s a cannondale). The frame is the only original bit left!

kcr
    Free Member

658,599 miles back in 2006. Don’t know what he has totalled now:
    http://www.glasgowroadclub.co.uk/2010/02/grcs-million-kilometer-man/

ransos
    Free Member

That statement doesn’t make any sense. You can be very interested in riding and very interested in the distance you’ve covered.

I’ve done just under 5000 this year and should do around 6500 by the end of the year which is my annual average. So I’m fairly interested in riding and the numbers.

In contrast, I’m not very interested. Which is what I said. How does that not make sense?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It just a typical response that you get on any ‘how far have you ridden’ thread on here. The suggestion that counting the miles makes you less into cycling somehow. Why bothering posting on a ‘how many miles’ thread?

brakes
    Free Member

I wish had some way of knowing accurately – I probably do about 5,000 – 6,000 miles a year.
    I’d actually like to keep a record of how many miles different parts of my bikes have done – particularly tyres, wheels, frames, forks and drivetrain parts. just to see how long they’re lasting for. I tend to replace kit before it breaks/ wears out.

brooess
    Free Member

Doing roughly 5000+ miles a year here. More than I’m driving, which seems like the right balance 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

It just a typical response that you get on any ‘how far have you ridden’ thread on here. The suggestion that counting the miles makes you less into cycling somehow. Why bothering posting on a ‘how many miles’ thread?

You appear to be reading things that aren’t there. I don’t keep a log because I think it’s an exceptionally dull thing to do. That directly responds to the OP’s first question.

If you get your kicks from your calculator, then I’m delighted for you.

thomthumb
    Free Member

for me this is why my garmin and strava are so useful. a lovely log of the miles i’ve ridden, how they stack up on & off road and through the year, what bike etc etc.

Not that bothered about KOMs or even racing my mates.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ransos do you really think people on this thread are more interested in counting mileage than they are riding?

No calculators required, I use a garmin.

Houns

No idea. Happy with the size of my penis 😛

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve only done about 1250 on the road bike this year, but try to justify this to myself with them being short daily rides where I try to sprint the whole lot and include short sharp hills. I’m aiming to get 2000 by the end of the year though so longer rides being planned 🙂

Probably less than 200 on the mtb tbh, downhilling isn’t really the best way to rack up the mileage. And I don’t really care about mtb miles to be honest – road is for fitness/to stop me feeling sluggish and crap on a daily basis, mtb is for fun.

ransos
    Free Member

Ransos do you really think people on this thread are more interested in counting mileage than they are riding?

No calculators required, I use a garmin.

I’m not going to speculate as to the motives of those who salivate over the readings from their GPS-enabled calculators.

psling
    Free Member

In over 50 years of cycling I’d ‘hate to imagine / love to know’ 8)

mrmo
    Free Member

This is the first year i have recorded ALL rides. This morning i broke the 7000miles ytd mark.

I think last year was around 8-9k but not that sure. Before that i suppose 5-6k was more normal over the last 20years. (last couple of years i have had a longer commute. )

When you think what some of the Audaxer do…. i barely ride my bike!

Gary_M
    Free Member

So you don’t have a gps then ransos?

TiRed

I ride more miles than I drive. About 6000 miles a year or 100-150 miles a week on average. Thats without any big Audax-type rides, just club runs, commuting and the odd sportive.

ransos
    Free Member

So you don’t have a gps then ransos?

I do – it’s a great bit of kit.

Edric64
    Free Member

I might actually use the Garmin I was bought last xmas one day!I`m sure its great but looks far to complicated for me to use !!

ton

**** me, there are some sour **** on this forum…..seriously

andy3809
    Free Member

TiRed – Member
    I ride more miles than I drive. About 6000 miles a year or 100-150 miles a week on average. Thats without any big Audax-type rides, just club runs, commuting and the odd sportive.
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

This is why I like to keep millage records. If I’m driving more than cycling then its time to look at why and get some balance back with my working life.

On about 6k commuting and road. Don’t measure the mountain biking

samuri
    Free Member

I do record the miles I do, but haven’t all my life. I rode like a bugger between say 14 and 20. No idea how many miles.

Now I record it all, average is probably 4500 over about ten years. So that’s approaching 50k

Lets say couple of 100k in my life. Which is awesome like beyond everything.

lols at people not liking it when people record mileage though. The happiest 20-30000 miles were on my first pompino. Cost me 200 quid all in, rode it fixed for years. Brilliant. I loved those miles massively, some wonderful memories. Yeah, slag that.

RustySpanner

Recorded all mine as a kid.
    Still add it up yearly, it’s a fraction now of what it was as a teenager.

Can I just say that I’m also very happy with the size of Houns’s penis?

saxabar
    Free Member

About 5000 per year (mostly on road). A slight guesstimate as I’ve stopped taking the Garmin out (to stop me focusing on raising averages and get more smiles per miles), but I know the distance of my regular routes. 🙂

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just over 6000 last year in about 11 months, 2 weeks about on hols with no bike and last 2 weeks in hospital or bed.
    this year started on 1st Feb due to the surgery, had 2 weeks with 25 miles but on track for 6.5k
    Probably 40% road, 60% gravel.
    Previous 5 years were less than but close to that

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘yearly/lifetime mileages?’ is closed to new replies.