Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Yay, Bird have made a 29er :)
  • joemmo
    Free Member

I’d have thought a 120mm version would have sold better for the majority UK riding, a 150mm FS 29er is a lot of bike for 95% of UK riders.

yes I thought it would be shorter, more like a Jeffsy. I guess this has less of an overlap in usage than the current 27.5 Aerises (aerii?) though.

Quality of service with an LBS vs. direct sales is a tricky one to compare, I’ve had some shoddy service from shop bought bikes so view it with some scepticism. In Bird’s defence they replaced my faulty DT freehub in a matter of days, upgraded the ratchet and fitted a new cassette, even though the original was hardly used. Hard to fault that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but crikey, the reach is a statement isn’t it? i’d need to try a 160mm stem to get a comparative fit on my current bike.

Or size down as far as necessary and fit a long seatpost?

I’m sold on the idea of long bikes personally, my current bike is ‘only’ 440mm with a 60mm stem though, but still doesn’t feel too long so I’d be up for testing something longer again.

thepurist

Bah was hoping it’d be something relevant in my ‘possible next bike’ list but thats 2Enduro4Me

P-Jay
    Free Member

More is better right 🙂

Yes, always (says the Man who once rode a Cove Shocker around White’s Level for a laugh.

I really like it, despite my little pissy-fit about Bird “going metric” if only because “metric” was an idiotic name for a slightly longer shock body I like that a lot.

Jeffsy looks good though 😉

cokie

The Rev was an awful fork on the 140mm stumpjumper and is a worse choice for a 150mm 29er and the reverb isn’t on the base Whytes, its their own brand one, which after using I would rather have a quick release seat clamp.

We’re talking like for like price was, which is the S150S vs. AM9 GX12.
    So the Whyte does come with the Reverb and the ’18 Rev is now a 35mm stantion fork with new inners- review place it inline with the Pike RC.

I don’t hate them and I backed them on Seeders actually, but the big reason you look to direct sales bikes is for value for money, however Whyte are now offering comparable bikes, as are lots of other competitors. So what’s the benefit of the direct sales model for the consumer now? Struggling to get a test ride (unless you live near Swinley), lack of setup if the bike gets posted (for which they charge for too), your new rider can’t just pop to the LBS to get advice on the setup, unknown quantity buying into a low volume mk1 bike. Seems like all the negative attributes of direct sales without the huge value for money incentive.

edd

Seems like all the negative attributes of direct sales without the huge value for money incentive.

To be fair if you live close to the Bird HQ then there aren’t really any negative attributes. Given that Bird are based in the UK, they’re always going to be a lot more convenient than the German direct sales brands. Plus they were super helpful when I tried an Aeris 145 and anecdotally they’ve been great when people have had problems (eg faulty DT freehub above).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’re talking like for like price was, which is the S150S vs. AM9 GX12.
    So the Whyte does come with the Reverb and the ’18 Rev is now a 35mm stantion fork with new inners- review place it inline with the Pike RC.

Is there a difference between the Yari RC and Rev RC then (beyond the Yari being a budget Lyric and the Rev being a budget Pike)?

I’ve nothing against the Whyte but saying the Bird is worse because it doesn’t have a reverb by default is a bit daft when it does have several winners in a game of spec top-trumps:
    4pot brakes Vs 2pot brakes
    DT 1700 wheels Vs an OEM pinned version of WTB’s cheaper i29 rim.
    RCT3 shock Vs RT

ahwiles
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

…Or size down as far as necessary and fit a long seatpost?

i’m too lanky, they don’t make seatposts long enough.

chiefgrooveguru

i’m too lanky, they don’t make seatposts long enough.

How lanky? My 170mm Reverb is 480mm long!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s inevitable that small companies, if they remain successful, become bigger and therefore their products become more expensive. Partly as they grow they have to invest more in R&D, marketing, increase the number of people working for them and ultimately have to start making more margin per product so leverage all that on the reputation they’ve made…the result prices go up.

It’s no different to any other expensive brand out there that started out small, niche, big bang for your buck, and are now uber expensive boutique brands. I’m thinking of Santa Cruz – I remember when they were a small niche brand with good value for money, and more recently Transition. It’s the bike company circle of life!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not having to bleed the brake if you want to change it (or install it in the first place) is great.

Arguably more practical when it comes to changing the rear brake. It makes changing gears only marginally more faffy imo.

For the amount of times i’m likely to swap those comps’ over tho i’ll take the extra faff for the cosmetic gains of internal routing.

Having said all that, the externally routed cables on my previous bike looked much cleaner than that on the Aeris.

LAT

They are living the dream (well my idea of s dream) designing and selling great bikes. Their prices are going up, but if that is what it takes to stay in business, then it can’t be avoided, but they do need to do something about the graphics and the colours as they make the bikes look cheap.

I do think the price quoted for a frame really should include a way of fixing the back wheel, the seat post and a shock. I also think the built in Britain thing is misleading. These things are cheeky and doesn’t reflect well on the company.

alextemper
    Free Member

Ridden it. Not as scary long as the numbers suggest. I sat on it and felt instantly comfortable. You feel more in the bike than on, partly with the stack height but I personally like that. Pedals really well, probably better than the 120. My direct comparison is a carbon remedy 29er I’ve had for 18 months. I think it’s one to demo before you make a snap judgement based on geometry, travel and wheel size.

alextemper
    Free Member

Don’t get the beef with built in Britain statement. It’s completely true so one is being mislead. Designed in house in the UK, frames manufactured to their exact tubing specifications overseas and then built (assembled) back in the UK.

chiefgrooveguru

they do need to do something about the graphics and the colours as they make the bikes look cheap.

I do find it strange when people treat their aesthetic opinion as fact…

I wasn’t a fan of the graphics on the original Zero but can’t see what’s cheap looking about any of the current Birds?

This bike looks a monster if you have the terrain for it!

thedude
    Free Member

Great company to deal with and I’m really into this bike. I want the green one and my girlfriend wants the blue one. If you don’t accept pressfit then there are less options out there. The transition sentinel looks good, but a 2 year warranty?

thedude
    Free Member

oops

LAT

I do find it strange when people treat their aesthetic opinion as fact…

Why? It is such a common occurrence. I jest, of course and it is only my opinion. The frame looks fantastic and I hugely admire what these folks are doing.

Don’t get the beef with built in Britain statement.

If someone described themselves as a frame builder, I’d assume that they welded tubes together to produce a bicycle frame. I wouldn’t expect someone who bolts sub-assemblies together to claim to have built the frame. Engineered in Britain, or assembled in Britain would be more accurate. Again, only my opinion and I’m only bothered enough about it to mention it here.

jruk
    Free Member

They’re a British startup making ace bikes backed by brilliant customer service for a very fair price. What’s not to like?

chiefgrooveguru

I agree with you on the Built In Britain thing – it’s misleading. Speaking both as a Bird owner and someone who runs a UK manufacturer.

chestrockwell

To be fair if you live close to the Bird HQ then there aren’t really any negative attributes

Not most of us then.

Quite good fun watching the bird fans getting their knickers in a twist now the bikes are not quite as good value and everyone isn’t swooning over a generic Far East frame.

That’s not to say it’s not a great bike and the company isn’t very well run though.

km79
    Free Member

I designed my own bike build and it too was ‘Built In Britian’. Surly already had a frameset available to my exact requirements so I bought one of them and ordered all the components from Germany and assembled it myself.

Putting a ‘Built In Britain’ sticker on the finished bike would be daft.

In Birds case it should be ‘Designed In Britain’, or ‘Specced In Britain’, or ‘Assembled In Britain’.

me1tdown
    Free Member

Any news on weather they will warranty it with a 160mm fork?

superstu
    Free Member

Any news on weather they will warranty it with a 160mm fork?

150mm only

superstu
    Free Member

Quite good fun watching the bird fans getting their knickers in a twist now the bikes are not quite as good value and everyone isn’t swooning over a generic Far East frame

Don’t see many undergarments being twisted here? General consensus is still good value for money but they (and everyone else) aren’t as cheap as they once were?

Incidentally the second part of the comment quoted above – being from the Far East and being generic are two very different things. This is their design not a catalogue job.

before I get accused of getting my own knickers in a twist or being a fan boi, neither is true (although I do like Bird) – everyone should have an opinion, it’s why we ride different bikes drink different beer etc!

cookeaa

No 29er HT yet then?

me1tdown
    Free Member

150mm only

Interesting, as I’m sure the Aeris145 is 150/160.

superstu
    Free Member

150mm only

Interesting, as I’m sure the Aeris145 is 150/160

I’m a member of a (“the”?) bird owners group on Facebook that the owners regularly comment on, someone asked the same question and was told 150, so from the horses mouth so to speak.

alextemper
    Free Member

Anyone on here placed a pre order yet? Having done back to back rides with my Remedy 29er I decided to order up the frame and do a parts swap. Will use my 160mm Pike while considering going with a super deluxe coil shock rather than an air can.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Yay, Bird have made a 29er :)’ is closed to new replies.