Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • *Yawn* Recommend a sound bar, please *Yawn*
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For a Sony 4K tellymabob
    Don’t want/need hi-fi wankery and/or directional unicorn pube cables.

Decent sound to budget ratio. Easy to install and use. Simple requirements, shirley? Up to £200ish or so.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That one off of Star Wars? It looked well sound.
    All Aliens and that. 😉

Sandwich

Got a Richer Sounds nearby? The Cambridge units appear quite well specced and reasonably priced.

Edit: Sign up for VIP membership online for discounts

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

Phillips 5140 from Richer Sounds. I think it’s 5140, I’ll check…

IHN

Yep, HTL5140

toby1

Q Acoustics is well regarded and I believe no unicorns were harmed in the production of it, but perhaps they were sustainable farmed?

A bit over budget, but you are CFH after all.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

There’s a Sony one on special offer today at amazon, seems a pretty tidy deal.

Speaker box to make up for the speakers that come with skinny TV’s

hora
    Free Member

Cambridge Audio, ours doesn’t need a subwoofer either

Markie
    Free Member

I have the Q Acoustics and would be torn on recommending it. It sounds great, true, but it doesn’t have HDMI and so connects with an optical cable. The annoyance of this in practical terms is that you need to use its own little remote to adjust the volume (although apparently some to remotes can learn the q acoustic way) and it doesn’t turn itself on when using the Amazon Fire TV box.

I’d wanted something that just gave my TV better sound. This does that (in spades) but the faffing with the extra remote and the manual turning on is kind of annoying. Or very annoying when Mrs M just turns up the TV volume which is then out of sync with the Q Acoustics and she doesn’t care because at least there’s loudness…

If I was buying again I think I’d be looking for HDMI in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks. Some food for thought here, especially around a separate remote. Don’t want that!

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’ve got a Q acoustics soundbar and its pretty good, though I managed to lose the tiny remote pretty much within a few days of having it.
    I ended up reprogrammed my Sky remote to control the soundbar volume and all was good with the world.

IHN

The Phillips will run off the telly/Sky remote if you connect it all up with HDMI cables

scaredypants

We have a soundbase rather than bar – seems to me that the bigger box should offer better bass (unless you want a subwoofer with that)

scaredypants

our base has its own remote but the only thing I do with it is reset the volume output to max after power cuts

bamboo
    Free Member

Recently got a Sony soundbar from John Lewis for £200. Has a wireless sub which you just plug into the mains anywhere in the room and it auto syncs. Has hdmi which means that i can use the tv remote to control it, which was one of the main reasons I chose this over other soundbars!

The whole thing is very much fit and forget.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bm’d as just bought a new Sony too..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bamboo, do you have the model number? Sounds ideal!

Scaredy, that scene is exactly what I want to avoid! 🙂

scaredypants

Here you go love !
    You won’t even have to sully your shoes, walking into Richer Sounds 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

That’s the same one that I linked too above. Currently £189 on Amazon.

bamboo
    Free Member

Flashy

It’s the Sony htct380. Link to JL is below….

John Lewis Sony Soundbar

rockhopper70

The ht xt1 is a sound base, so the telly sits on top.
    The other Sony is a sound bar and sits in the front of the telly so needs a seperate sub to get the bass.
    I went through this about two years ago and was throughly underwhelmed with the ht xt1 when demo’d.
    I ended up buying the denon dht100.
    It’s very nice and only £129 or so from the superfi eBay outlet.

Canton dm 5 are generally considered the best sound base but a bit pricey for me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks all…!

Went for the soundbase, as mentioned above. Stupidly simple to connect, even for a luddite like me. Sound is lovely, really good in fact. Lots of bass, but the overall detail even at lower volumes is excellent. Haven’t yet tried to play through other things, like my phone/tablets via Bluetooth, but so far – Very impressed.

Thanks again to all of you for the typically good advice (and humour!) that this place is so good at. Seriously, thank you.

onandon
    Free Member

Anything made by Yamaha

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh…a soundbar…oh the shame…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘*Yawn* Recommend a sound bar, please *Yawn*’ is closed to new replies.