Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Yawn ….. pointers on what lube to use ….. yawn :-)
  • letmetalktomark

Thank you for getting this far with the post – I know lube is not the most interesting of topics 😳 😆

For as far back as I can remember I have been using the same tiny bottle of this:

I have used it through wet periods, dry, dusty you name it.

I keep chains etc cleaned well as where I mainly ride is sandy and seems too destroy stuff very quickly.

Before I run out and get some are their any others I should be considering?

Cheers,

MArk

Also on a side note ….. just replaced my cassette with a spangly new one and cannot for the life of me remember what I did/didn’t do regarding lubricating the last when it was new. Any pointers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I love it too – tried Purple Extreme, Pedros & squirt recently and none have changed my mind.

I’ve never lubed a cassette in my life. You did get a new chain too?

amplebrew

Purple Extreme for me 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Tried Muck Off wet and dry lubes – not impressed
    Tried Squirt and thought it was overrated.
    Rock’n’Roll Extreme is very good

Currently using Progold Prolink and that’s the best I’ve used so far

letmetalktomark

cynic-al – Member

I love it too – tried Purple Extreme, Pedros & squirt recently and none have changed my mind.

I’ve never lubed a cassette in my life. You did get a new chain too?

Yep new cassette & chain.

Both SRAM and came glazed in a factory lube that seems to have attracted every spot of duct from the garage since being fitted a week a ago 👿

Going to look into the Purple Extreme stuff.

stumpy01

Finish Line Wet is my normal lube of choice, although I recently bought a bottle of Muc-Off wet lube too, to keep in my bag.

In the summer I use the Finish line dry stuff if we have a proper dry spell.

I give my cassette a quick spritz of GT85 if I have given the bike a clean after riding (dirtworker), just to get the water off it and stop rust spots forming. Just don’t get it too near your rear brake rotor (can be problematic if it’s windy!)

slowjo
    Free Member

Squirt seemed to be a brilliant option but I did exactly what it said on the bottle and one ride in the chain was rusty.

letmetalktomark

slowjo – Member

Squirt seemed to be a brilliant option but I did exactly what it said on the bottle and one ride in the chain was rusty.

I couldn’t be dealing with that.

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 just spit and ride it like a prison shower initiation

cynic-al
    Free Member

I tired the Scotoiler lube years ago (not the system,just the lube), as I thought water soluble lube could work, but my chain rusted solid!

letmetalktomark

cynic-al – Member

I tired the Scotoiler lube years ago (not the system,just the lube), as I thought water soluble lube could work, but my chain rusted solid!

😆

qwerty – Member

just spit and ride it like a prison shower initiation

😯

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Been getting on very well with Green Oil – smells nice, good(ish) for the environment, works a treat.

Oggles
    Free Member

Using Rock’n’Roll Extreme at the moment on my road and mountain bikes and it seems to be doing a good job at lubrication and keeping them clean. My only complaint about finish line is it turns the drivetrain black in my experience. Previously I just used TF2 silicone spray and have never had a problem!

thepurist

I tried RnR Extreme when CRC had their flood sale and haven’t gone back to Finish Line Green that I was using before – same issues with black drivetrain as Oggles

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Factory grease is fine, slap some dry lube on and keep riding it. Don’t use a chain cleaner, just use the same dry lube on a rag and run the chain through it until the majority of crap has come off the chain. Lube link by link with your chosen lube.

Factory grease keeps the pins & the rollers better lubed than external lubes.

bigG
    Free Member

finish line wet (green top) in winter and

finish line krytech wax (white top ) in summer / dry spells (and all year round on the road bike). No issues with overly grubby or black drivetrain.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Putoline motorcycle chain wax.

Lasts loads longer than cycle lubes between applications, £18 a kilo, chains and cassettes last much longer. filthy faff to apply

I use it on all my bikes and won’t swap back

Trimix
    Free Member

Im thinking of not bothering to lube my chain at all.

If I do lube it the dust/dirt sticks to it and acts like grinding paste – especially in the winter. Then takes longer to clean. Since I wash it well and squirt it with WD40 after I reckon that will do. The mud wont stick, the WD will stop the rust and a clean, unsticky chain will not attract dirt.

I get about a year out of the whole drive train anyway, so if it lasts that long or longer Im fine. I ride about twice in the week at night and once or twice a weekend – all year round, so anything that makes it last a bit longer will help.

Sam

been using Squirt here and I like it.

you want to put a thin layer of grease over the freehub body before installing.

failedengineer

I’ve tried using ‘proper’ lube and nothing (or a squirt of GT85 to clean and drive off any water) and haven’t noticed any difference in longevity of drivetrain. Th chain’s a bit quieter with lube. If you must use lube, synthetic engine oil mixed with paraffin appears to be the same as Finish Line Wet.

speaker2animals

I use Squirt on my road bike and think it is brilliant. I have yet to ride through winter on it though. I too use Finish Line Wet and have done for years and can’t knock it. I’ve got a couple of bottles knocking around I think. You can have them for half the cheapest online price (inc P&P) if you want. I’m definitely going Squirt.

bikeandy61@gmail.com

StirlingCrispin

I use a Scottoiler. My mates use Scottoilers.

Last week I tried a bike without a Scottoiler and it was horrible – the chain was covered in crap.

So, I quite like Scottoilers.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Been experimenting with mixing various thick waxes with various solvents to see what works best. Slather it on and wipe it off, like Rock’n Roll which is good but damn expensive. DIY cheapo version. Always needs a good shake.

So far so good, the solvent rinses out quite a lot of the daily grit. Petrol is a bit strong, but white spirit seems to do the job.

gamo
    Free Member

Using Squirt at the moment and happy with it, not used it in winter conditions yet though! used R+R extreme for a couple of years before
    and never had any issue’s probably go back to it if i get rust using
    Squirt in winter.

sv

Squirts been fine for me for a few months now. Liked RnR too but didn’t last too long, Finishline Green makes an awful grinding paste, the Silver? Krytrch wax is better IMO but Squirt is best (so far).

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I like the finish line green so much I have a 3.8L bottle of it in my garage.

I swop refills for cake with my mates. Works out about £2 a 4oz bottle that way.

Wish I’d found something as good for summer

chakaping
    Free Member

I use this stuff all the time now…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22888

Doesn’t go as gunky as Finish Line Wet, seems to work better and last longer than the more sophisticated ones – for me anyway.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Top tip – wipe your chain with a rag after every ride and lube it with decent stuff less often than you think – light sprays after every ride like GT85 are a recipe for drivetrain death – that’s from pricey experience!

Properly clean it about once a quarter.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Yawn ….. pointers on what lube to use ….. yawn :-)’ is closed to new replies.