Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Yawn…. Office Lighting – Changed to LED
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My job is predominantly VDU based in an office environment.

My employer recently made the decision to get an external contractor in to change all the lighting in the organisation to more efficient LED.

Are there any regulations etc about office lighting and its appropriateness. The new lights are that bright we are leaving the majority switched off which isn’t good in itself as then big shadows are being cast etc.

Is this something we can go back to the contractor on and say they should have fitted x system etc?

The ones they have installed are rows of LED’s, and then a fairly cheap looking opaque diffuser over the top.

Ta

hels
    Free Member

It is very subjective. I switch on all the lights at work, some folk are mushrooms. I like the window open, some people hate fresh air.

I don’t eat a massive smelly microwave curry at my desk twice a day etc etc etc

ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

Our office lighting has been changed recently too. I think there’s the option to set the led as ice white, normal or cool. Might be worth seeing if you can change the intensity.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I agree its subjective. However everyone is saying they are too bright.

In an office I used to work in they replaced all the lighting as they didn’t meet some standard or other.. its that standard I am trying to find.

tazzymtb

ask to see the updated workstation assessments to comply with the Display Screen Equipment Regulations 1992 refer to INDG36(rev4) Free PDF available from the HSE, as a significant change in lighting can effect glare, eye strain etc… and may need some antiglare screens fitting to the monitors.

also worth having a quick look at the guidance on lighting in the workplace HSG 38 memory (also a free PDF from the HSE) which will also give you some helpful advice.

Cougar

I expect there’s a minimum brightness for an office; I doubt there’s a maximum one.

Is this any use? https://www.qub.ac.uk/safety-reps/sr_webpages/safety_downloads/HSG38Lightingatwork.pdf

EDIT: What he said. ^^

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks Tazzy/Cougar that’s just what I was after!

Basically its a management **** up. Contractor said we can save you x’000s on electricity if we change all your lights. The contractor then audited how many lights are in the organisation, and has changed every light fitting, where quite clearly it is not needed as the new LED’s are so much brighter. So every office now has lights off, yet we have paid for the unit.

Contractor doesn’t care has they were asked to replace all the exiting fittings 🙄

T1000
    Free Member

CIBSE LG7 2015 edition

sets out lighting levels, glare etc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Yawn…. Office Lighting – Changed to LED’ is closed to new replies.