Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Yawn, holiday insurance….including Megavalanche
  • andeh

In a little over the month I’m heading out to the Alps for 4 weeks bicycling and I could do with sorting out some travel insurance. So, give me your best advice.

In the past I’ve used Snowcard for Mega insurance but the length of the trip makes it uneconomical to have such a high level of cover for the whole trip.

This particular trip includes both the Passportes du Soleil and the Megavalanche so need super-heavy insurance for at least the week at the Mega. Am I right in thinking that it might be possible to increase cover for that period?

Multi-trip insurance seems like a good option, but I have very little knowledge, anyone take out policies such as this?

Thanks in advance everyone

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not sure on the options available, but difference between the two is critical in that one is a race event and the other is not. Passportes could be covered by regular travel insurance, depending on the Mtb cover. Though myself, mine covers it so long as it’s not dh ‘racing’, but it also excludes ‘extreme terrain’, which sounds like a general get out clause for anything other than tarmac. I’m looking at Snowcard for a single trip to boost the cover, but I’m just doing Passportes.

What does an annual cover cost with Snowcard? I know it’s a lot as I’ve considered it for my annual insurance to cover skiing also, but has been a bit much, but maybe compared to covering your two trips it may be better value, especially if you’re doing other things in the year.

Ps, do you have to get a doctors cert and/or a race licence for the Mega? Never done it myself. Though I think I’d need a personal medic team with air ambulance on standby 🙂

andeh

Not many responses then. Basically, what would you all do?

Not looked into prices yet other than a single trip quote on maximum cover, was something ridiculous.

I had a doctors note when I did the Mega, just has to say that he sees no reason why you shouldn’t do it. Didn’t even charge me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Did you sort anything in the end?

Doing Passportes myself but already have travel insurance that covers the getting to and from and possessions etc. I just want something to cover the days riding as my own is a bit dubious as to covering the riding. Snowcard however state they don’t allow insurance for part of a trip and you can’t start it after you’ve left UK. If I specify it for the whole duration the price goes up a fair bit for the two days extra for travelling, that I don’t really need. I’m not sure if Snowcard would be invalid if I then just specify it for the days riding.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Here’s my analysis (just relating to a week for Mega)

Single person/single trip with Mega specifically covered:
    Dogtag basic = £45 with a £400 excess. (other cover levels still have quite high excesses too)
    Snowcard = £70 with £50 excess.

Top-up insurance with Sportcover direct was an attractive option in the past but less so this year = £67 with £90 excess

I’m going for Snowcard single trip. No point in being insured if the excess is excessive.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can you cover for part of the trip though? Snowcard seem to be suggesting you can’t use it for part trip or with a start date after you’ve left UK. On the basis of already having insurance for the rest of the trip that is, with someone else.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Yawn, holiday insurance….including Megavalanche’ is closed to new replies.