Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • yarncliff quarry
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Afternoon. …

Anyone know what yarncliff quarry conditions are like atm? Want to take minivader there for his first taste of real climbing. …

Cheers.

martinhutch

Seems a bit mean. Are you trying to put him off? 🙂

Yarncliffe should be fine, but even if it is a bit green, manky and loose, like normal, Froggatt will be fine.

EDIT: Scrub that – was thinking of Tegness!

daftvader
    Free Member

I really like yarncliff and its easy to set up top ropes on the first few pitches. recommendations welcome tho for some nice easy climbing with easily set up top ropes… suitable for a 5 year old….

martinhutch

It’s OK, I had the wrong quarry in mind. Yarncliffe is nice.

mt
    Free Member

watch out for the giant ants at the top.

martinhutch

Too right. This is my missus topping out at Yarncliffe the other day:

Nipper99
    Free Member

Ant Crack was my first ever lead dum de dum years ago followed by Latecomer. ?There was also a great hvs called Zaplle I think and all just up the road from Grindleford cafe (if its still there).

daftvader
    Free Member

I like ants aret and ants crack was also my first lead! I remember looking for the ant nest… then finding it… martinhutch isn’t far off! Grindleford wasnt too good last time I was there but then I tend to use the cafe at carver (used to be the outside shop now the spar) as my sister runs it. 8)

Nipper99
    Free Member

Have you been to Windgather, might be better for the youngster?

daftvader
    Free Member

Where’s that nipper99??

Nonsense
    Free Member

Zapple is a really nice climb just round the corner from the first bit. Can get packed very quickly if a minibus turns up though.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Windgather is only about 8ft* high isn’t it?

*Slight exaggeration

daftvader
    Free Member

Just looked it up… looks ok might give it a go. Whats it like for setting up there?

martinhutch

Windgather can be tricky for setting up belays. OK if you’re confident, with a decent rack. I recall a spare rope might be useful there. Are you looking to bottom-rope or sit at the top?

daftvader
    Free Member

Bottom rope as mrsvader will be belaying me and I’d rather she was on the ground!!! 😯

Nipper99
    Free Member

Windgather is a great little crag and one of my favorite spots in the Peak. As above, belays should be fine if you have a reasonable rack – i think ‘on peak rock’ had as a good begginer crag.

daftvader
    Free Member

My rack isnt too bad… basic but I also have 2 spare ropes… tbf i reckon we will stick to yarnclif as we will be camping at coopers in edale and give windgather a go next time as I really like the sound of it

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘yarncliff quarry’ is closed to new replies.