Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Yari or Pike … or neither
  • mrmoofo

I have a solaris , which I running some OEM Revs on. They seem to have basic compression damping on them – non-adjustable and no waste gate ….
    They work fine… but as 105KG rider i am thing of going to either Pikes or Yari, as the will be stiffer at 35 mm ….
    Debonair RTC Pikes are coming out about 130 quid more than RC Yaris. The Pikes have the debonair damper …

Most of my riding is SWD, cross country, trail stuff ….
    What would be the better choice … or should I just stick with the Revs, as I will hardly notice a difference?

darrenspink
    Free Member

You would certainly notice a difference with the pikes.

I have both and although the yari is a great stiff fork I do prefer the pikes for their bump sensitivity and nice mid travel feel.

If you can afford make then change, if you can’t stick with the revs 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

The new Revelation is the same chassis as the Pike, haven’t seen many for sale aftermarket yet though.

The Yari is heavier (shares Lyrik chassis).

I’d say the new Pike is easily worth £130 more than a Yari, and it’s a great match for the Solaris (I have a 120mm Pike on mine).

mrmoofo

I can afford the change … it’s more a case of “is it worth it?”

darrenspink
    Free Member

I did and have never regretted it.

joebristol

I went from a 32mm Revlation (150mm travel) to a 160mm Yari. Definitely a big improvement – at he time the revelation didn’t feel flexy but having gone through a few rock gardens the Yari is clearly better.

That said, the Yari has MoCo damping which is basically the same as the Revelation. The Pike has a charger damper (like the Lyrik does) which is better – but it’s not quite as stiff as chassis as the Yari (which is a Lyrik) but is lighter.

When I bought a bike I went for the Yari as it was initially cheaper, but there is the option to upgrade to a Lyrik charger damper aftermarket should you find the Yari wanting.

I’m toying with doing it next year if my bonus at work is big enough to justify it. I don’t need to upgrade it as the bike is more than capable but I might, just because!

mrmoofo

What is the difference between the Lyric and Pike Chassis?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I also went from Revs to Pikes, it was night and day difference for me. I’m 85kg so dare say you may even notice it more..

1timmy1
    Free Member

What is the difference between the Lyric and Pike Chassis?

The Lyrik has a thicker legs so is stiffer but heavier (but still 35mm). The Pike had a smaller negative air in 2017, but they changed that for 2018 and re-branded everything Debonair.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yari is a cheap Lyric,

Pike is a pike.

Went from 2017 revs to a 2018 pike, no comparison. Pikes well stiffer, more plush and just betterer

chestrockwell

I have both, Pikes are well worth the extra. Yari are a good fork but even a mincer like me can find the edge of their performance limit. Multiple, fast, heavy hits over rough terrain cause the Yari problems that the Pike gobble up.

iainc

Just gone from 120 Reba to 130 Yari and am very impressed so far….

mactheknife

Ok of the wall here, but if I was buying a set of forks now and I was on a budget I would look no further than a set of Manitou Mattocs from CRC. There is a massive thread on MTBR about them. At £350 it’s another brainer

MSP

What travel do you want, some bargantastic 100mm, 130mm and 140mm fox 34’s here

https://www.bike-components.de/de/Angebote/fox-suspension-sale-2017/gabeln/

kimbers

I’ve just gone from a luftkappe Pike to a Yari,

Stiffness is a big improvement, feels that much more solid and planted on gnar shredding descents 😉

However the moco does struggle on rocky ,stepped descents.
    I’ve put the luftkappe in the Yari and it’s helped with the midstroke support, but still not as good as it was in the Pike, gonna add another token and see if that helps but im looking at the novyparts or fast damper upgrades when I’ve got some spare cash.

In summary Pikes brilliant, for 130 quid extra you could get a novyparts splug for your Yari.

However if a 2017 pike is available, a big suspension tuning guy told me debonair doesn’t change much

mrmoofo

Cool re the 2017 vs 2018 pikes …
    Not fussed about “boost” , as nothing I have is boost!

joebristol

I forgot all 2018 Rockshox are boost – you’ll need 2017 or older to avoid that problem. Stupid changing standards!

chestrockwell

Agree with the suggestion above that you could widen your search. Rockshox are not necessarily the only answer. I have been very impressed with DT Swiss in the past, no idea if they have anything in budget.

mrmoofo

I only want 120 or 130 travel … which I though ruled out Mattocs
    My experience with Fox 36 Talas was that they needed servicing every 30 seconds …. and you had to send them away to be done …

jamesoz

I thought my 2015 pikes were great until I took them to the alps. I’m not sure if it’s the hsc not suiting me or flex causing binding but when things get fast I’ve found them pretty harsh. Similar weight to you, not sure how things have changed for 2018.
    I’ve picked up one of those cheap mattocs as it looked a good deal and has adjustable hsc, not tried them yet but for the price I thought I’d give them a whirl.

lardman
    Free Member

Just as another option, maybe see if there’s a good deal on Marzicchis anywhere.

I found a pair of 55’s in a sale recently for 60% off retail. When I put them on my trail bike, I realised how much better they were than my pikes. Maybe not as sensitive initially, but in terms of mid stroke support they’re much better. As stiff, or stiffer too.

mccraque

I’ve 120mm yari in my Solaris (set up chubby). I weigh 92kg and mainly use it for SDW and Surrey Hills riding.

Very happy with it. I’ve pikes on a different bike so have a like for like comparison – but think they offer a decent lower cost alternative. My thinking being that with the bigger plus tyres I wouldn’t be too bothered about the small bump sensitivity advantage.

marko369
    Free Member

I have a Yari on my hardtail, while it is very good it aint a patch on my Lyrik which is same cassis but charge damper.

If I had the choice, I would pay £160 more for the Pike based on it having the better damper, plus it will feel a lot stiffer than your Revs anyway so bonus.

Curveball, if your not in a rush to swap or worried about a couple of 100g extra bike weight keep saving and buy a Lyrik 😉

mrmoofo

Sure to the Lyric …. but I want 130mm not 160mm!!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I get the impression the Yari is like the old Lyric (pre charger damper), which I really rather like, especially for a plush big travel bouncer. I considered the charger “upgrade” on my old 26er Lyrics, but I actually think it’s a bit of a downgrade, especially in tuneability and getting it to be as plush. That said the small bump sensitivity on the Pikes though is way better. Really quite hard to get the old Lyrics to feel similar.

vincienup
    Free Member

I went from Reba to Yari on a mk1 Solaris.

My purchase was informed mostly by wanting a boost fork for a 3” front plus tyre and Merlin having v1 Yaris on sale at Just over £300. I’m running mine at 120mm.

I don’t regret in the slightest. The Pike is a more controlled fork in 2018 version especially, and it is about 150g lighter, if the prices were more similar I’d probably have gone with a Pike, but the Yari is a good fork, the damping isn’t rubbish in any way, the Pike is just better (and more expensive)

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

29 inch hardtail
    130 mm fork:

ordered this a couple days ago:

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/34-Float-29-130-Grip-Rhythm-51-Boost-Suspension-Fork-2017-OEM-p61616/

Fox 34 Float Rhythm , new , for 199 Euros.
    Received the fork – an hell the Fox looks good!!!

Guy Kesteven revied this fork with the Chameleon bike:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaMLm8qes0

Will have my bike in January going again.
    Wait for the headset from Uberbike.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I’ll be selling a 140mm yari soon if your interested?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Also a very good trail fork:

the new Suntour Auron – at least from model “SF18” on.
    (“sf” = model year)
    the SF18 gets the same technology as the Durolux SF16.

The prototype for the Auron was already tested in 2016:
    http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/sr-suntours-megavalanche-capable-auron-fork-343302
    Remy Absolon won a couple races with this prototype Auron. mbr article is from 2016…
    Since “now” (from SF18 on) this is Auron standard…

Fantastic!

mrmoofo

But the 200 euro Fox’s might be great value … but are they any better that RS Revs? If I ma going to replace, I would like to go better!
    Off to look at the Suntour…
    Nice but it is 150 mm …

I want 120 mm to 130 max …

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Steel4real-bloke found a review for the Fox 34 Float Rhythm:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/brand-new-fox-130-mm-29-fork-for-199-euros

steel4real – Member
    All good then – I was curious and just read the PinkBike review where they compared the Grip damper to Fit 4 and concluded there was very little if any discernible difference
    Also, I didn’t realise that they retail at £700 +
    You’ve got a proper bargain there !

Can’t say how the fork will perform. Wait for the headset.

But:
    The Fox 34 Float Rhythm fork is – in 27.5 inch version – on the Whyte T130SR

https://www.whyte.bike/t130sr
    Thats a £2250 bike people are quite happy with.
    Do you know people biking the Whyte T130SR?
    Maybe you are able to make a test ride on one of those?

others: Auron with 150 mm too much travel?
    O.k.. Understand.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

The Fox 34 Float Rhythm fork is – in 27.5 inch version – on the Whyte T130SR
    https://www.whyte.bike/t130sr
    Thats a £2250 bike people are quite happy with.
    Do you know people biking the Whyte T130SR?

Rascal-bloke has this bike since August:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whyte-t130s-or-s150s#post-8922966

rascal – Member

Bought the T130rs in Aug.
    About 12 rides in – absolutely love it.
    Cannock a few times not much of a test bed but few Lakes rides and plenty of local – enough rides to know it feels likes a bigger bike than 130mm would suggest. Went from 140 down to 130 and feels like a more capable bike than the Cannondale Trigger it replaced. No regrets. Plenty of bike.

mrmoofo

Very tempted to go form the Fox 34 Float Grip from the above link.
    will I die, or be disappointed ?
    would 35 mm stantions make that much dfference?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The fox 34 is slightly less stiff than a pike the Grip damper is similar in performance to RS Moco and not as good as a Marzzochi CR damper, definitely not as good as a charger, FIT or x fusion roughcut.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Have the

Fox 34 Float Rhythm

from above 199 Euro link sitting in the garage, waiting for installation…

Yari, new: about 450 Euros
    Pike, new: about 550 … 600 Euros?

will I die, or be disappointed ?
    would 35 mm stantions make that much dfference?

I know that it’s difficult to beat a Pike.
    But I’am pretty sure the Fox 34 Float Rhythm will be a very, very good trail fork as well.
    Pretty sure also that the fork – together with the 199 price tag in mind – will put a big smile on my face everytime I ride the bike next year!
    😯

oldnpastit

My X-Fusion with the roughcut damper is pretty good. I don’t really know much about forks, but it’s a noticeable improvement over everything I’ve ever ridden in the past.

pinkwafer

At 105kgs you might appreciate the extra stiffness of the Yari chassis. You could see what you think once you’ve fitted it and if you really don’t get on with the Motion control damper, you can retro fit the charger 2 damper into the Yari for about £200 and an hour of work. Easy if you are used to performing lowers services, thus upgrading the fork to a Lyrik.
    I did this with my Yari.

mrmoofo

Thanks …
    Looking at a Yari / Pike …

mindmap3
    Free Member

My Yari with Luftkappe have been pretty good but are boing up for sale.

I’m going back to a pair of Mattoc’s. I sold mine for some 350NCR’s which I was never happy with which were sold for Yari’s but again, they’re not as good as my Mattoc’s were.

The Yari’s are pretty stout, the axle is nice and easy to use, servicing is a piece of cake too. I’m just not sold on the damping, but I generally don’t like Rock Shox forks.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Mindmap I have messaged you.

Cheers

Simon

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Yari or Pike … or neither’ is closed to new replies.