Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • yapping dogs
  • andybrad

Ok folks a bit of advice. We have recently moved house, all is well and good in the world. Now the reason for moving is we have never had a garden before and we really wanted to sit outside in the evenings.

It turns out the people whos garden ours backs onto have two lovely lhasa apso dogs. These things constantly bark all day whenever we are in the garden. So much so it is really spoiling our enjoyment. I tried to have a chat with the neighbor but she just shrugged her shoulders and walked inside.

Is there anything we can do? im hoping the plants will grow and help this summer but its driving us nuts.

Any suggestions if anything can be done? (apart from move)

cheers

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Tease them by waving a cat under their nose.

Serious answer,

If they’re genuinely noisy, you can make a formal complaint via the council on environmental health grounds, but you’ll need to prove how noisy they are first (which might cost some cash).

andybrad

Im having a massive Alsatian dog round for dinner on Tuesday. will see how it gets on….

skiprat
    Free Member

If you go down the council route, they’ll ask you to make a diary of days and times of the dogs barking. May also have to make recordings but you will probably need to prove location (not that you just recorded dogs at the local RSPCA).

Next doors dogs bark at us when we use the side gate. One even trys to snap at you as you go past (through the fence). Our old dog doesn’t like it so lets you walk in first so it snaps at you and he can walk in without being seen. Gave it a flick on the nose the other week which it didn’t like. Proper hates me now so don’t go down that path, yaps even more now when it sees me.

Flaperon

I’m going around to discuss the neighbour’s barking dog this afternoon. They’ve already given me the “considerate neighbours” lecture after I dared to park outside their house on the public road so can’t see it ending well.

I don’t think you’ll have any luck with the council, there are six million complaints a year about barking dogs and they even admit that if the duration is less than 30 minutes at a time they won’t act.

http://www.barkingdog.net has some useful info.

jekkyl

You need to impress on your neighbour how much of a disturbance they are causing you, you want to enjoy your garden in peace and quiet and why shouldn’t you. It’s horrible though you don’t know whether you’ll get ‘oh sorry I’ll see what I can do’ or ‘flip off ****, suck it up, piss off and mind your own business or I’ll come round and thump you’ from randoms in public. The dogs can be made to shut the hell up though, we’ve had great success with our dog wearing one of these: http://www.easyanimal.co.uk/dogs/dog-training/anti-bark-training-aids/page/2/ – the deluxe one. It gives them a little shock if they bark or howl, you may think that’s cruel but it doesn’t shock them if they don’t bark, they soon learn.
    Tell the neighbour that you will be making a complaint to the council unless they do something about it. Even if you get verbal back no-one wants people coming round from official bodies. Good luck.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Laxative embedded in a meat cut of your choice lobbed over the fence.

Seriously though, why do so many people like these stupid little yapping dogs?

MrsToast
    Free Member

It turns out the people whos garden ours backs onto have two lovely lhasa apso dogs. These things constantly bark all day whenever we are in the garden. So much so it is really spoiling our enjoyment. I tried to have a chat with the neighbor but she just shrugged her shoulders and walked inside.

Is there anything we can do? im hoping the plants will grow and help this summer but its driving us nuts.

There’s not really much you can do, short of keeping a noise diary and reporting it to the council. Even then, I’m not sure how yappy a dog has to be before they’d act.

It might depend on the dogs, but I think Lhasa Apsos are like Tibetan Terriers in that they were bred as watchdogs, so tend to be a bit barky to alert people to potential intruders. With you being new residents, they might still see you as strangers. It could be that, as they get used to you, they’ll stop shouting.

Orrr it might just be that they’re very yappy due to lack of training and will be a continual shouty nightmare from now on.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Buy a shovel.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Toys R Us for the biggest water pistol they do, sick som aniseed flavoring in there and soak them
    EVERY time they bark

PiknMix
    Free Member

I had a really good neighbour who had the worst dog! He was called Eric (the dog) and would bark at everything the second he was left alone, it drove us mad for months so we went round to discuss our options. Even with the full cooperation of the neighbour Eric wouldn’t settle, there was no magic thing the owner could do to make it stop.

In the end my partner and I ended up spending time with Eric, got to know him but more importantly Eric got to know the sound of our voices. This was great as whenever he barked all it took was a sharp shout of his name through the wall and he would stop.
    As I say this is all with 100% cooperation with the owner and even then it was a bit of a soul destroying exercise!

Try speaking to the owner again, failing that make a noise diary and involve the council. Other peoples pets should not ruin the enjoyment of your home.
    Good luck.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Had the same, we moved house 🙁

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve moved house recently, and I hoped I would be rid of this annoying racket

Next doors have got a hyperactive little rat of a dog that yaps so much and is so high pitched it eventually turns to a squeak. It also jumps up and down at the wall so I can see it’s stupid little head appear every few seconds

Next door to them they have a big dog that barks at nothing, and they both set each other off

It’s the owners that are the arses though. I’ve had dogs throughout most of my life, and I would never leave them outside barking

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rondo101
    Free Member

I feel your pain. There are 2 yappy dogs newly moved in next door, another up the road that an old chap bought for company after his wife passed but is unable to walk so it barks all the time when its in the garden and another backing on to ours that howls all day when its left alone. They all bark because they’ve been left alone or aren’t getting enough attention. I’m not willing to offer to walk them.

We mentioned the noise to the neighbours at the back, then put a note through the door after they left it at home whilst on holiday for a week (5am howling, not nice) & it has got better. The old guy doesn’t understand what we’re talking about (he’s helpfully deaf). And the new next-door neighbours are ignorant ****s.

Along with the large family of constantly screaming kids at the back, I guess it’s one of the downsides to living in a city. So we’re going to move somewhere more rural.

vickypea
    Free Member

We live next door to two horrible little yappers. The owner has a bottle of pebbles that she rattles at them when they get over-excited. Seems to help a bit.

globalti
    Free Member

The best approach is always to go round for a reasonable discussion, or invite the neighbours round for a glass of wine.

If that fails it’s time to escalate the matter. Most councils publish a small brochure about dog noise and why dogs bark. I would get one and present it to the neighbour as a sign that you’re serious and have been in touch with the council. At all times I would be helpful, sympathetic and friendly – it may be that they are as flummoxed as you are by the barking.

Have to admit though that this approach didn’t work when our neighbours sold their house to a drug dealer who had just completed a 10 year stretch for robbery with violence and he moved in with three dogs that barked all day and night. We sold up and left.

jon1973
    Free Member

Can’t you get those devices that emit a high pitched whistle every time a dog barks, which the dog finds really unpleasant? Sounds a good option if the neighbour is unwilling or unable to stop the dog from making a noise.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

get a couple of nice big juicy bones from the butcher. have a chat with your neighbour over the fence, explain that the dogs are barking at you cos you’re new etc, present the dogs with the bones and hopefully you are now their new best friend.

if my dogs were barking at one of the neighbours this is the route i would go down- make the dogs like the neighbour through proper introduction

if all that fails, get the council involved by all means but best to go down the friendly route first cos at the end of the day you have to live next to these people

andybrad

so basically what were saying is hot dogs dipped in antifreeze?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘yapping dogs’ is closed to new replies.