Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Yale "Smart" home system – anyone any experience?
  • munkster
    Free Member

Specifically the smoke alarm, however, which I’ve just added into the system today…

At the moment the smoke alarm is not making the smart hub thing make any noise when pressing the test button (as it is meant to) and I am almost sure this is due to the two things being too far away. I am wondering whether a wifi extender upstairs will help or whether the Yale devices communicate with the smart hub directly or over the wifi itself. If the former I presume a wifi extender won’t help.

As it stands the smoke alarm will still make a noise if triggered which is obviously the primary requirement but as it stands won’t do the alert on the phone from what I can see.

Anyone got one? Long shot I’m sure but thought I’d ask on here before contacting Yale. TIA!

footflaps

Can highly recommend Nest smoke alarms – all sync over Wifi/LAN/Zigbe, quite impressive. The one in the workshop links to the others in the house over a combination of all three technologies.

If a fire starts in the workshop all the house smoke alarms will say “Smoke detected in Workshop” well actually they say Cellar as Workshop isn’t a pre-defined room, but still quite impressive given the workshop is out of Wifi range….

munkster
    Free Member

And will it link into my existing Yale system? I already have the smoke alarm anyway, so my actual question still stands…

Edit: the Yale one is a third of the price of a Nest one by the looks of it so I’m triply happy to stick with my existing system 😉

footflaps

Edit: the Yale one is a third of the price of a Nest one by the looks of it

There is a reason Yale kit is cheap…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jLCrWBA-M[/video]

munkster
    Free Member

Hmmm that’s not the same model smoke alarm that I have I don’t think.

PS – I do get it. Yours is better than mine but I have mine not yours so I’m going to keep mine. Hence why I’m asking about mine 😉

bassman
    Free Member

I don’t think the new smoke alarm has logged onto the control unit have you bought this after the main alarm system and now trying to install onto the existing system.
    Have you set up the new smoke to the existing control unit (by doing it next to the (CU) there are usually acknowledging bleeps to confirm that the new unit is logged onto the control unit. (seen by it)
    Then test the smoke detector close to the control before siteing where you want it located.
    If you can try logging on the Smoke Detector next to the control unit again to make sure they are seeing each other.

munkster
    Free Member

Yeah pretty sure I logged it with the CU did all the bleeping etc. It’s on the Devices in the app for example. Good idea though will bring it downstairs and test next to it. I didn’t test until it was in situ. It’s actually two floors up so I do suspect it’s too far away though but would love to be proved wrong… As I said in OP if it is too far my Q is whether a wifi extender would solve it.

andybanks
    Free Member

If you still have the receipts then I’d return it.

We’ve had nothing but trouble from our smart alarm from Yale.

It’s generic Chinese stuff that’s been rebranded.

Oh, and any employee at Yale could log in remotely to ours and change any setting, including disarming it and triggering the PIR cameras without our permission.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Yale "Smart" home system – anyone any experience?’ is closed to new replies.