Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Y Reg Polo GTI
  • bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’m fed up of chucking money at an ‘intermittent electrical fault’ keeps just slowing down and stopping as petrol gets cut off as fault on cylinder 4, the fault is cleared using their hand held computers then it happens again, I’ve had a crank sensor, coil pack etc etc

Anyone else got an older GTI Polo or Golf apparently its something happens?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc[/video]

herusix
    Free Member

I would try a different garage if you haven’t already.
    I’m no expert but it sounds like it’s going into a ‘limp home’ mode to protect the engine.
    I have come across several different Vw/Audi cars that have problems with faulty coil packs(TT & A2 spring to mind)
    might be worth investing in a cheap fault code reader so at least when it happens you can check to see if it’s the same fault code occurring and a lot of the readers available will let you clear fault codes as well.

jam-bo

My old golf gti used to die randomly until I replaced the ECU relay. Cost £12, ran perfectly for another 50,000 before I scrapped it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Out of the numerous problems my old Polo GTI had, this wasn’t one of them! Most of my issues centered around the lumps of cheese they call a gearbox in the 6N2. I’d have another though – excellent cars!

As above, I’d take it to another garage. Sounds like an error they’re just clearing on vagcom but if its recurring it must be a sensor or something maybe.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions I’ll try the leads etc!!

lalazar
    Free Member

A mate of mine had a similar problem car kept cutting out randomly .

It turned out to be the immobiliser switch on the fuel pump and was an easy fix. Was also a VW but Passat 96 model.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’ll write all these down and get someone new to have a look once I have some cash…. anyone wanna buy it…. no? anyone? *echo echo echo*

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Hmm, if you do want to get rid, I might be interested. If/when you prepare to sell it, send me an email with more info.

M6TTF
    Free Member

We have a 2001Y Polo Gti – it’s been a great car – there is a slight whine coming from the clutch/gearbox area so I am expecting a bill at some point, but other than that it’s been brilliant. Such a well specced car for the era and price. Full leather, heated seats, xenons, climate control… I want to sell it but the wife loves it too much. Only weak point is the gearbox, and the shite finish on the BBS split rims (had them split and refurbed and they’ve been fine since)

woody2000

I had a Citroen with a similar fault and it took the garage a long time to find out what it was, turned out the Lambda sensor that was faulty. Worth checking?

binners

and the shite finish on the BBS split rims

Your not kidding there. They’re in a shocking state!

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Yeah thanks for your input Binners……. 🙄

I’ll get these things checked out before I finish off my ebay listing

M6TTF
    Free Member

and the shite finish on the BBS split rims
    Your not kidding there. They’re in a shocking state!

had ours done at a cost of about 300 quid a couple of years ago, they still look really good. Mate is getting into detailing and gave the whole car a good going over, it looks superb again now. We’ve got several people who want first dibs on it when I can persuade the wife to part with it!

bagpuss72
    Free Member

wanna buy another?????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Y Reg Polo GTI’ is closed to new replies.