Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XX44 Headset Question
  • mlucas666
    Free Member

Ok, first post here so go easy on me…

I’m just about to take possession of a Genesis 853 frame which uses a straight 44mm head tube. I intend to run 1.1/8 forks and as such need to to find a suitable (non-tapered) headset.

I was going to order a Nukeproof Warhead 44IESS headset from CRC but they have now run out of stock until may… 🙁

I think i have to run an external lower cup as the frame was designed to use tapered forks, can anyone recommend a suitable alternative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=51070

Will work. 44mm headsets only use external lower cups for tapered steerers in order to accomodate the larger bearings. You don’t need an external cup for a 1 1/8″ steerer, unless you want one to slacken the headangle, which could also be achieved with a 10mm longer fork.

mlucas666
    Free Member

Will work. 44mm headsets only use external lower cups for tapered steerers in order to accomodate the larger bearings. You don’t need an external cup for a 1 1/8″ steerer, unless you want one to slacken the headangle, which could also be achieved with a 10mm longer fork.

Thanks, but i think that the frame was designed to use an external lower cup (there was something on the Genesis blog about it). If i were to use an internal cup i would be loosing 10mm of stack height and there may be clearance issues with the fork crown and frame.

I’ll probably have to get a Hope pick’n’mix (2H combo) with a Hs136 crown reducer, but i didn’t really want spend that kind of money and was hoping for a sub-£50 solution… 🙁

wwaswas

Look at the Hope ‘mix and match’ headsets – you just buy the upper and lower cups/bearings that you need.

You’ll need to sort an SFN and top cap separatly though.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have a Cane Creek 44mm 1 1/8″ headset on my Ragley and the bottom cup bearing seal is pretty rubbish so I would look elsewhere. Based on previous experience with FSA I’ll probably go with one of theirs, but I was also considering Nukeproof.

ironside7000
    Free Member

@Mlucas666 – I too bought a Genesis Altitude 853 as a frame and put my old 1. 1/8 forks on it. I bought from BikeActive.com – but it came with a FREE Hope Headset. Fit and forget unit. Can take picture if you want?

Have bought Hope Headset from the Bike Outlet (York) before – was the best price I could find – just over £50 budget?

Hope this helps 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I believe Madison are stocking a specific FSA headset for exactly this issue. I’ve had a Latitude for over a year now and used the Nukeproof one as Madison (who own Genesis) could not provide an option at the time.

mlucas666
    Free Member

@ironside7000 – Pics would be hugely appreciated, my email is: mlucas.ftw (at) gmail (dot) com. I hope the frame is worth the hassle!

@PaulGillespie – Thanks for the info – it’s a shame that there isn’t more info on the Genesis site to help with this issue. By all accounts trying to actually contact Genesis is a waste of time.

Thanks for everyone elses input. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XX44 Headset Question’ is closed to new replies.