Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • XX1 / XX0 Chain / Cassette Wear
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

for anybody who is running this, how many miles are you getting out of the cassette?

also at what point on a chain checker, wear wise are you changing the chain?

i would obviously like to prolong the cassette life span as much as possible so trying to get it in my head the best time to change the chain

DanW
    Free Member

A bit OT, sorry, but;

I would also be interested to know if people seem to be getting more life out of an XX1 cassette than an XX- SRAM cassette durability is a big worry for me thinking of switching to XX1…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I got about 12 months use out of an XX cassette, all conditions. I think it was about 6000km’s use in total. The main body was actually in pretty good condition, but the aluminium 36T ring was pretty worn. I’m lazy when it comes to the drivetrain though, that was all on the original chain/chainring. It didn’t run too well at the end 🙂

With XX1 the idea is you change chains quicker, and the front ring, to save on cassette wear.

If I got that amount of use out of my new setup, that’s fine by me.

njee20
    Free Member

With XX1 the idea is you change chains quicker, and the front ring, to save on cassette wear.

Is it? Not seen that anywhere. Not like the cassettes are any more expensive than XX. That’s good practice with any transmission after all.

DanW
    Free Member

Agree, just good practice not really specific to 1x.

6000km seems like a lot Hob Nob. Don’t people with XX cassettes tend to find durability an issue for riding all conditions? Is XX1 really that much more durable than XX or might your conditions not be too cruel to the drivetrain?

I know that it will vary a lot between conditions/ individuals but for comparison my Shimano XT was on it’s second chain (KMC) and second chain ring (Raceface) and starting to skip after 2000km. This was all muddy winter riding though and the XTR that replaced it has 2000km on the first chain but dry Summer trails. It is probably due a second chain soon but I guess it is good for another 1500-2000km or so.

Nevertheless 6000km in all conditions on 1 chain and chainring seems like a lot!

njee20
    Free Member

Personally I found my XX cassette outlasted XTR. 6000km seems a very acceptable lifespan, even more so on one chain.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wow 6k Km’s is alot, id love to get that out in the peak district, but i reckon its a long shout to get that even with a couple of chains 3x rides a week

ill probably get one of the *hopefully* more accurate park pcs2 chain checkers, that *hopefully* can tell me exactly how worn the chain is, probably start to think about changing it at .5 wear then, to preserve the cassette a little more

njee20
    Free Member

Just use a ruler? Even more accurate.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

a ruler? didnt even know it was possible 😆

*rushes to google search*

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘XX1 / XX0 Chain / Cassette Wear’ is closed to new replies.