Viewing 38 posts - 161 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • XX1 / X01 Cassette Wear
  • rooster42
    Free Member

I come from a MX background where we used to wash bikes in between races, in comparison, washing a MTB after a days racing riding is a Godsend 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I clean my MTB pretty thoroughly after every winter ride, but not in summer. Winter road bike has had it’s seasonal wipe (clean is over generous), that’ll see it through until March.

gamerriley
    Free Member

Away from cleaning for a second…. 😀
    Has anyone used a Blackspire Narrow Wide Snaggletooth Chainring? It’s the only other 94mm boltcircle diameter ring that I can find to replace my SRAM X01-X1 X-Sync Narrow Wide Chainring. Be interested to know anyone’s experiences or whether you think it’s not worth it and stick with the SRAM. The Blackspire is £20 cheaper.

rooster42
    Free Member

Got the gears shifting perfect now, just needed a new gear cable, also got a new 32t chain ring which has stopped all the grinding, everything running like new and I can get up the hills easier as well now, think I’ll leave it alone for a bit now 🙂

rooster42
    Free Member

gamerriley – Member
    Away from cleaning for a second….
    Has anyone used a Blackspire Narrow Wide Snaggletooth Chainring? It’s the only other 94mm boltcircle diameter ring that I can find to replace my SRAM X01-X1 X-Sync Narrow Wide Chainring. Be interested to know anyone’s experiences or whether you think it’s not worth it and stick with the SRAM. The Blackspire is £20 cheaper.

Other options might be a direct mount chain ring from Racespec, Works Components or Absolute black?

xcstu
    Free Member

Result!!! Sram replaced my XO1 Cassette free of charge 🙂

gamerriley
    Free Member

Top work 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

need a new chain, anyone used anything other than XX1?

will be with a Absolute Black ring, i have a kmc x11 dlc thing knocking about, but i know historically there were issues with the 2

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dirtyrider – ive been using the x1 chains at 20quid a pop on my xx1 cranks for the last few, last just as long as xx1 but almost 15 quid cheaper! (its the black and silver chain)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

What’s the weight difference 😉 I have an inner weenie

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

oh dear 😉

its probably a bit more weight but not that much I would have thought, are you having issues with the xx1 chains?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no issues at all 621 miles on this one on .75 on my park checker

well i think i switched the chain when i think i did, guess i should add “replaced chain” or something to my ride names so i know when i have, CRC orders suggest i bought one in March when i replaced the cassette, then another in May, may would be 621 miles, April would be 1000 miles

vincienup
    Free Member

Just skimmed this, 1×11 curious as opposed to actively interested- currently 2×10 and 1×10 on mountainbikes.

In short, am I right thinking I could expect a reasonably maintained 1×11 rig to run about 1500-2000 miles over several chains assuming I got front rig size right so the big rear sprocket was something that almost never got used?

I’m running 38/26 on an 11-34 on my main bike right now and very rarely get to the bottom of the granny. I’m assuming regular gear-inch type calculator approach to figure relative ratios is all that’s needed?

I’m seeing a lot of 1×10 riders on other forums reaching for cassette extensions instead of accepting smaller front rings, which seems all wrong.

njee20
    Free Member

in short, am I right thinking I could expect a reasonably maintained 1×11 rig to run about 1500-2000 miles over several chains assuming I got front rig size right so the big rear sprocket was something that almost never got used?

Yep, I’d say if you use the 42 sensibly, rather than never. If you’re dropping into it for every single climb it’s not gonna last.

br
    Free Member

I’m seeing a lot of 1×10 riders on other forums reaching for cassette extensions instead of accepting smaller front rings, which seems all wrong.

+1

I’m looking for a new bike and have realised that if I buy one that can’t take a 28T then I need to budget for a new crankset that can.

robj20
    Free Member

I currently use a 30t front ring, and use the 42t a bit too often so i think i will be dropping to a 28t for a while. I’m really not bothered about going fast on flat so high gears don’t interest me too much, gravity gives me all the speed i need.

Its lasting well so far though, i keep it in my mind while riding to keep the drivetrain as clean as possible so if its caked in mud i had for the nearest stream and ride through it, nothing worse than hearing that grinding noise.

julians
    Free Member

Adding a range expander cog to the cassette gives you a lower gear without affecting your top gear or any other gears in between.

Changing your front ring for a smaller ring, gives you a lower lowest gear, but also lowers your highest gear , and all gears in between.

njee20
    Free Member

Adding a range expander cog to the cassette gives you a lower gear without affecting your top gear or any other gears in between

Except for the huge gap you introduce to the middle of the block you mean…?

dunmail
    Free Member

Except for the huge gap you introduce to the middle of the block you mean…?

Some people I know notice this but for the most part I haven’t. It might depend on the gradient and/or your cadence when you are on the cogs to either side. For me it’s not really a problem, sure it’d be nice not to have it there as a potential worry but without a specific 10sp 11-40 block it’s probably the best compromise.

I doubt Shimano would produce such a block as I’m sure they’d rather produce and sell a standard 11-36 along with a triple front ring and mech.

Northwind

vincienup – Member

Range expander means you can keep the higher gears too, I’d not be happy with 11-28 as the highest gear on mine.

FWIW I’ve never felt there’s a noticable gap in the ratios (i did fit a 16T to smooth the gap but even without that, it was OK ratio wise, it just didn’t shift amazingly) It’s pretty comparable to some of the gaps in 9 speed 11-34, from memory, and not many people were bothered about that.

But then, I ride 1×9 on the road and I think most people would consider that horribly gappy so it’s probably partly that it’s just something that doesn’t bother me. I didn’t get on with proper road gearing, I almost never made a single gearshift, I always wanted a bigger change so shifted twice. So, not saying it’s not a thing, it just might be a thing that isn’t very thingy for you.

mtbikemarc
    Free Member

rooster42, when you put the new 42 on, was there a difference in wear between that and the rest of the cassette? Did it affect the shifting at all? I’d think the chain would be confused between the two different wear patterns.

I’m looking at replacing my 42…at around 800 miles, it’s starting the get noticeably worn (not effecting shifting yet though).

dirtyrider
    Free Member

3 times i had this today, within probably 10km, twice on a flat tarmac road, I’ve NEVER dropped a chain, i had trashed cassettes, trashed jockeys trashed chainrings, chains above 1.00 wear, chain always to the outside, mega filthy conditions, so this, on a dry day, on the flat, 30km into the ride, baffling

🙁 not this weekend,

mactheknife

Thats an odd one, i am still on the same cassette and front ring that i have had on for about 8 months and not a sniff of it dropping the chain.

Aye that would baffle me dirtyrider.

njee20
    Free Member

Lucky Sherwood isn’t too bumpy Dirtyrider 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😆 its bumpier than a tarmac road, maybe, just, actually, ill be alright , ha, might just take the Krampus ❗

rone

I’m at 3192 miles on an X01 cassette now.

Wondering whether to replace. 36T XX1 chainring 2225.

Chains changed more or less every thousand.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

something obviously a miss there dirtyrider – no logic in it failing on the flat at all, something else must be a miss some where?!

as for wear, im getting through x1 chains at an alarming rate, ive recently changed front rings to direct mount raceface, and even with a new xx1 cassette, my park tools cc2 chain checker suggest my chain is worn after 350 miles (peak district and a fair whack of grit/climbing feet etc)

so either my chain checker is out, or something isn’t right with the RF narrow wides wearing out my chains? only other thing is im now on xtr rear mech (which wont make a difference im sure)

my xx1 chainring before did about 1500 miles last year before being replaced, and changed the chain probably every 3-4 months earliest

im gonna try a dura ace/xtr 11 speed chain next and a oval chainring from absolute black see if that makes a difference, have also found the RF narrow wide very very noisy compared to the xx1 chainring it replaced even in the bone dry!

br
    Free Member

I doubt Shimano would produce such a block as I’m sure they’d rather produce and sell a standard 11-36 along with a triple front ring and mech.

Yer reckon? 😉

ktothetothe
    Free Member

If anyone has a used XX1 or X01 cassette that they want to sell me, let me know. I’m buying…even if the 42t is blown. Cheers!

mactheknife

ktotheone, i have an X01 cassette that has a worn 42t. Is it just to try and see if you like 1 x 11?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

need a new XX1 cassette, who is the cheapest at the moment?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Bump

mactheknife

X01 seems to be the best dal out there. The e13 trs plus is slightly more expensive and i don’t like the fact you cant buy the top 3 rings separately anywhere yet.

This is my next but when this casssette dies.

GCX 42T Cog for SRAM XX1/X01 cassette

rone

Bike24 are looking ‘cheap’ for XX1 (1199) cassette. 249 euros

Although I always go for the X01.(1195) but actually is only about £10 cheaper.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

CRC are 219 then less 10% for BCbut OOS – was hoping to get close to that, nowhere seems to be sub 200 at the moment

Yetiman
    Free Member

If X01 is acceptable this place is doing a cassette & X1 chain for £189 delivered.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1905661/

dirtyrider
    Free Member

back in stock at CRC

Goldigger
    Free Member

UBYK are doing the X01 XG1195 for £189
    Sram X01 cassette

Viewing 38 posts - 161 through 198 (of 198 total)

The topic ‘XX1 / X01 Cassette Wear’ is closed to new replies.