Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • XX1 – who has used it a lot…?
  • jamj1974

So considering going from 2×9 to XX1. Anyone used it extensively yet and if so what is it like in the real world in terms of shifting, durability, ratios, usability, adjustability etc…

Also – where did you get it from? Merlin has it for £750 which seems a great deal, but unfortunately gripshift only.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I rode my mates XX1 kitted Stump Evo 29er the other day and the XX1 set up is excellent. No chain device. No problems. Shifting isn’t quite as smooth as the Big S but it’s effective and has a more positive feel to it. I didn’t find the jump in ratios to be a problem either although I also never got into either the top most or bottom most gear.

You can currently get the chainset at Evans for £200

jamj1974

Cheers geetee!

butterbean
    Free Member

I’ve used it on & off for 18 months now on various bikes.

All started with no chain device, all have a top guide as a minimum now due to dropping chains.

Cassette wear seems good, as does chain wear. Shifting as mentioned isn’t as good as Shimano 10spd & the mech needs a lot more love than XTR to keep it running sweet. All of them have developed the common annoying ‘clunk’ when sat on the bike (it’s something to do with chain growth & the clutch system). Few seized jockey wheels & one mech write off so far.

Ratios work well for me with a 34 or 36T front ring. The GXP crankset is a real pain though, every single bike i’ve ridden the BB creaks. The cranks arn’t a patch on Shimano.

The idea is good still & the ratios work for me. I just wish it was made by Shimano, rather than SRAM. It might work properly in average UK conditions then.

simonjj
    Free Member

Getting very tempted now with some of the deals about…

Might be a complete 2013 Saint group set in the classifieds soon!

Schweiz
    Free Member

6 months of use including several weeks of big mountain riding. No guides installed and never dropped a chain. Broke the shifter lever fixation but repaired with glue. Mech clicking is annoying but can be fixed by adjusting the clutch and securing with loctite ( has a tendency to tighten up with riding). Ceramic GXP BB still quiet and smooth. Switch between a 32 and 30 ring (29er) depending on the terrain

robgclarkson
    Free Member

1st SRAM system of any kind i’ve ever used, and i like it… had it on for the last 6 months now and it hasn’t let me down once, never dropped a chain and is utterly silent… a different feel to shimano, but again, enjoyable…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been using mine on my Epic for about six months now with no issues.
    There’s been no issues with chain or cassette wear and it’s all still running sweet.

The only minor issue I’ve had with it was setting it up initially. The system seems to be very sensitive to cable tension and if it’s a little out, it’s a little noisy.

With the ratios when running a 32t chainring I’ve not ran out of gears yet when climbing in fact I think I’ve only ever used the 42t once or twice. I think I might try a 34t as I could sometimes do with an extra gear on road sections.

I got mine from Bike-discount.de, I can’t remember the exact pricing but it was quite a bit cheaper than the UK suppliers.

Gee76
    Free Member

SimonJJ don;t forget to go through topcashback to get another 4% off… another nearly £30 off so £730 ish ain’t bad at all!!!

Did I just say that 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

So forgive my ignorance, but can you use a normal chainset with one of the Race Face wide/narrow chainrings?

simonjj
    Free Member

@ Gee76 – thanks!

jamj1974

Thanks everyone! Chapakings point re: cranksets and chainrings I am interested to know too!

njee20
    Free Member

Yes.

Superficial
    Free Member

£730 seems ok but surely the cost of the disposable parts is the prohibitive factor. ~£320 for cassette and chain vs £70 I currently spend for shimano XT (I know it’s not directly comparable).

Inferior shifting, mechs that clunk and seize – not really selling it to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers njee.

I’m waiting to see what Shimano come up with in the way of wide-ratio cassettes for single-ring use. Hopefully something 10sp so compatible with existing freehubs and shifters.

£270 for a cassette – someone is taking the proverbial here!

amplebrew

Tweeks have got 20% off XX1 components, don’t know how that compares to the other shops.

They don’t seem to have the chainset though.

The stuff from Tweeks is boxed stuff and not OEM if that makes a difference.

The cassette is expensive, but it does look pretty amazing.

jamj1974

To be fair I don’t change cassettes that often. I replace chains often and have got 4 years out of a set of rings and a cassette previously…

phil56

I’ve been using XX1 for just over six months, riding extnsively in the UK and about 5 weeks in the Alps/Pyrenees – I’m massively impressed. I’ve never had a chain come off and the shifting remains as crisp and positive as ever. In very muddy conditions it gets noisey, but still works faultlessly.

I switch between a 36 chainring in the UK and 32 for the Alps, and it’s a 5 minute job – I don’t make any changes to the chain.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Unless you live in the alps or race a lot of xc I don’t think xx1 is a great idea, especially not right now. Still new and priced accordingly.

For a lot less cash you can get a 30t 104 single ring up front and a general lee cassette adapter.
    I’ve been using this setup for a few months with a clutch mech and Iove it, no chain issues, no clutter and I didn’t need a new rear wheel to run the cassette
    Saint cranks here too.

jamj1974

I would definitely do that Sunnrider – that is if I was already running 10 speed. I’d rather only buy a new shifter and mech once.

gee
    Free Member

XTR clutch mech, some old M970 cranks, Race Face chainring, XTR chain and shifter with XT cassette.

Masses and masses cheaper to buy/replace and a load more reliable… Ok slightly heavier and you need to MTFU a bit more as the gear range isn’t as wide but I’m not sold on the rediculous prices of XX1…

GB

the_lecht_rocks

like my xx1’s silence.

other than that, it shed 2lb once i swapped out my 3×10 xtr.

i’m still a shimano fan though..

JamesD
    Free Member

Soooo tempting, but cassette is soooo pricey!

Superficial
    Free Member

XTR clutch mech, some old M970 cranks, Race Face chainring, XTR chain and shifter with XT cassette.

Exactly what I have – I love that XTR shifters / mechs are now the budget option 🙄

_tom_
    Free Member

£760?! I would sooner buy a complete bike for that, or less. More money than sense..

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘XX1 – who has used it a lot…?’ is closed to new replies.