Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • XX1 here i come :-)
  • butterbean
    Free Member

So what is so different with XX1 to my Deore 10 speed clutch mech, Race Face thick thin on an XT crank and a x9 shifter? That sure is some expensive retail therapy.

What’s the difference between your bike and a BSO from Tesco?

I mean, they both do the same thing, right?

daver27
    Free Member

GEDA, the only difference is, yours will probably still be working in a few months! 😆

tomhoward

So what is so different with XX1 to my Deore 10 speed clutch mech, Race Face thick thin on an XT crank and a x9 shifter? That sure is some expensive retail therapy.

Lighter, 1 more gear and a bigger range of gears.
    Nothing much really 🙄

skellnonch
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    See the XX1 ‘you don’t need a chainguide, but you might for some riding’ scenario

Haven’t dropped a chain yet after riding lots of lumpy stuff, XX1 chainset X9 clutch mech, behaves flawlessly… very impressed, just in the process of going full 11 speed.

GEDA
    Free Member

What’s the difference between your bike and a BSO from Tesco?

I mean, they both do the same thing, right?

My bike will not break when taken off road and take a few hits.

XX1 is so stupidly expensive for what? My system is pretty light, simple, cheap to replace and works. XX1 at a guess would be a bit lighter, shift a tiny bit better and have a bit better range. Am I right? If that is all then I will keep my cheapskate solution and spend my money on more holidays, expensive hookers or boringly put it in the bank for a rainy day. Of course other people can spend their money on super expensive stuff but it will not make them any better at biking or have more fun or any cleverer.

mashiehood
    Free Member

My bike will not break when taken off road and take a few hits.

XX1 is so stupidly expensive for what? My system is pretty lightheavy, simple, cheap to replace and works. XX1 at a guess would be a bitlot lighter, shift a tinylot bit better and have a bitmuch better range. Am I right? If that is all then I will keep my cheapskate solution and spend my money on more holidays, expensivecheap hookers or boringly put it in the bank for a rainy day. Of course other people can spend their money on super expensive stuffa better solution but it will not make them any better at biking or have more fun or any cleverer.

butterbean
    Free Member

My bike is so stupidly expensive for what? A Specialized Hardrock is pretty light, simple, cheap to replace and works. My bike at a guess would be a bit lighter, blah blah. Am I right?

Yes, that’s exactly it.

butterbean
    Free Member

Stupid double post.

GEDA
    Free Member

When heavy is a couple of 100 grams I would rather not eat so many pies. Much better range is relative and as I have never felt like I have run out of gears then I assume the greater range is not worth £1300! There is a definite law of diminishing returns going on here. Can you really not think of a better way of spending that money even in biking terms? Are you really that good that it will make a difference. I bow down at you if it does.

njee20
    Free Member

XX1 is so stupidly expensive for what?

But it’s not. It’s cheaper than XTR and XX. I really don’t get all the frothing over the expense. Is any component that costs more than what you choose to use “stupidly expensive”?

When heavy is a couple of 100 grams I would rather not eat so many pies. Much better range is relative and as I have never felt like I have run out of gears then I assume the greater range is not worth £1300! There is a definite law of diminishing returns going on here. Can you really not think of a better way of spending that money even in biking terms? Are you really that good that it will make a difference. I bow down at you if it does.

It’s less than £700. Of course there’s a law of diminishing returns, name me something (bikes or otherwise) where that’s not the case? A £300 bike is hugely better than a Tesco BSO, a £1000 bike is a chunk better, a £2000 bike marginally better still etc.

Have you been preaching like this to everyone who’s ever bought an SLX mech? You deem Deore adequate after all.

Haven’t dropped a chain yet after riding lots of lumpy stuff, XX1 chainset X9 clutch mech, behaves flawlessly… very impressed, just in the process of going full 11 speed.

I realise, but even some SRAM sponsored athletes have chosen to use chain guides for certain events.

messiah
    Free Member

XX1 1×11 etc is not for everyone. It’s a drivetrain option which suits a certain kind of rider (one thats willing to spend the cash, and wants more gears than 1×10 without having to run 2×10… there is always a compromise).

XTR is stupidly expensive, at least with XX1 you are getting one more than you could get with XTR over XT/SLX 😉

PS – All that XX1 not needed stuff has been done to death on many other threads like this one.

skellnonch
    Free Member

GEDA – Member

So much hate… it may not make a difference to you so don’t buy it if you dont want to, it will make a difference to me, that’s all that matters

daver27
    Free Member

its not cheaper than xtr though is it. (discounted prices here, not RRP)

xx1 cassette £289.99
    XTR cassette £135.99

xx1 rear mech £191.99
    Xtr rear mech £111.99

XX1 shifter £111.99
    XTR shifter £55.99

XX1 chain £42.49
    Xtr Chain £31.99

XX1 chainring £55.99
    Works Components ring £35

Not forgetting to make xx1 work:
    XD Driver £30-60 depending on wheel
    XX1 Chainset (comes with ring) £232

that makes a 1×10 XTR conversion come in at £370.96
    to go to XX1 (i’ll forget the chainset now and assume you have that for a fair comparison) £679.96-£709.96 depending on your wheelset.

Why would you buy it when XTR is literally half the price for a 1x setup? yes xtr gets close on price when you start looking at front mechs, shifters and chainset, but we are talking 1x drive-trains here.

and before anyone says “ahhh but you don’t get the gear range…” i don’t need it or want it. this works for me and has done for the last few years, the super wide range of xx1 was for me, rubbish.

I’ll stick with the absolute best there is, Shimano XTR and a holiday to use it.

GEDA
    Free Member

Ok. Not that expensive. I stand corrected. £733 on bike discount.

Personally I dislike comments of the like “If you have the money why not?” I find people spending loads of money on supposed “luxury items” a bit distasteful.

njee20
    Free Member

that makes a 1×10 XTR conversion come in at £370.96
    to go to XX1 (i’ll forget the chainset now and assume you have that for a fair comparison)

I didn’t say an XTR 1×10 conversion. The groupset, as a whole, is more expensive. But there aren’t people foaming at the mouth and trolling threads with “It’s stupidly overpriced, and hugely unnecessary, eat less pies, you’re not as cool as me!!111one!1111!!” type responses, which XX1 for some reason, seems to get.

yes xtr gets close on price when you start looking at front mechs, shifters and chainset, but we are talking 1x drive-trains here.

It doesn’t ‘get close’ it exceeds it. Look at chainsets too, rather than cherry picking parts of the groupset.

Personally I dislike comments of the like “If you have the money why not?” I find people spending loads of money on supposed “luxury items” a bit distasteful.

Seriously? Get over yourself! Why are you using X.9 shifters? Disgusting over indulgence, X.4 will work just fine.

skellnonch
    Free Member

daver27 – Member
    its not cheaper than xtr though is it. (discounted prices here, not RRP)

I think your discounted prices are a little skewed I just paid £195 for an XX1 cassette and the other bits were a fair bit cheaper than your figures, but that was never the issue for me. You won’t get the same ratios which may or may not be a factor depending on where you ride/what terrain etc etc, of if you ride competitively and to what level. Or you may just want to be pimp and have all the gear…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I find people spending loads of money on supposed “luxury items” a bit distasteful.

😆

daver27
    Free Member

be interested to know where you got an xx1 cassette from at that price as the x01 cassette is £240 at trade +VAT…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

x01 cassette looks nicer anyway, and is £215 on crc less 10% discount for SRAM components

njee20
    Free Member

be interested to know where you got an xx1 cassette from at that price as the x01 cassette is £240 at trade +VAT…

1) you’re on crap trade rates if that’s the case. I’ve just looked.

2) I CBA to tour every shop, but £205 here.

daver27
    Free Member

Still utterly ridiculous prices. Fine if you want to spend that, but i’ll spend less on the best there is.
    Having used both, there is absolutely no comparison in terms of performance, Shimano is better and it stays working. Plus, you can save £100 by not buying the XTR cassette with no loss in performance.
    So, for the price of an xx1 cassette, you can have an XTR rear mech and shifter and chain, XT cassette and a Works components ring.

no brainer.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you cannot compare it to the xtr cassette as the XTR is 11-36 !!!

there is your performance loss

christ

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Seriously?

What else should we spend our money on then?
    If I buy a nicer car, is that a luxury item and therefore distasteful?
    If I buy a bigger house, is that a luxury item and therefore distasteful?

What an utterly ridiculous comment to make. If people have got the money and want to spend it on ‘luxury’ bikes or components, what’s distasteful about that?

robj20
    Free Member

I’m amazed how many people put there opinion across like its fact.
    I went with XX1 because i wanted to, why not. For me its miles better i like the range and have had no issues with it. My mate couldnt stand my bike because he likes his 3×9.

mashiehood
    Free Member

has to be one of the quotes of the year

njee20
    Free Member

Fine if you want to spend that, but i’ll spend less on the best there is.

By what measure? XTR cassettes are heavier and a narrow range and don’t last as long because of the ti sprockets.

Having used both, there is absolutely no comparison in terms of performance, Shimano is better and it stays working.

I have also used both, extensively (well XX cassettes anyway, not much first hand experience of XX1 yet but tech is the same), and despite your slightly blinkered view at the end of the day it’s a personal choice. Both XTR and XX/XX1 are excellent, there are subtle performance and functionality differences, but conveying your ill informed opinion as fact is a little daft.

Plus, you can save £100 by not buying the XTR cassette with no loss in performance.

You mean £70?

So, for the price of an xx1 cassette, you can have an XTR rear mech and shifter and chain, XT cassette and a Works components ring.

You can have a basic Trek hardtail too. What’s your point caller?

mashiehood
    Free Member

im annoyed as i cant find anything to hate. I am running XTR rear mech, XX cassette and XX1 front ring! 😀

messiah
    Free Member

XX1 gives me the gear spead I need for the mountains I ride; it would either be this or back to the HammerSchmidt as I don’t like front mechs.

Munro bagging with XX1

I tried running 1×9 when I ditched the schmidt and it proved to me that 1×10 was not enough of a spread.

Gear spread shot from Art’s Cyclery Blog

Buying into XX1 was not an easy decision due to the cost and my distrust of SRAM after an issue I had with X9. Having bought XX1 I love it, but I will only run it on my big bike. 1×9 is good enough for the bike I thrash round the local forests, my XX1 is for the mountains.

Oh look, another Munro

Re the cost thing… if you NEED a whole new drive train and wheels anyway then its not quite as scary as if your trying to justify an upgrade.

njee20
    Free Member

im annoyed as i cant find anything to hate. I am running XTR rear mech, XX cassette and XX1 front ring!

That’s the worst of all worlds though! You’ve spent XX1 money, but only have the range of XTR! Lightest set up though.

roverpig

If you want to try the 1x option without the cost, can you not just fit one of these big sprockets to your XT cassette ?

I currently run 2×10 with 24/32 chainrings and I’m happy enough with it. But I’ve noticed that as I’ve got a bit stronger I tend to stay in the 32T ring most of the time and only drop into the granny for those super steep or long climbs. Basically I only seem to use my 24T granny with my 36 sprocket as my get out of jail gear. So, I’m carrying a shifter, cable, mech and granny ring all to get 1 extra gear that sits about 20% below my 32×36 gear. If I were to add a 42T sprocket (and lose one from the middle) I’d be in pretty much the same position i.e. I could use 11-36 most of the time with the 42 as the get out of jail card.

I’m not in any rush, but I can see the logic now.

njee20
    Free Member

Certainly can!

moonboy
    Free Member

the ratio table geek level is to be admired

daver27
    Free Member

£95 actually, XT cassette is £40, XTR £135. all this from just looking online (in the UK, not bike-discount.de) and you can get 5 XT cassettes for the price of one of the XX1 jobbies at £205, enough for several years riding!
    its not an ill informed opinion, its my opinion, and the prices are fact. I am comparing 1x costs, NOT full XTR costs, which is not the same thing.
    as i have said, i don’t need the range of xx1 etc. a 32t ring gives way less than a 1:1 low end, which for me is enough to climb just about anything. going down i don’t feel the need for any more.

I agree with you though that the differences are subtle, but in my opinion, XTR is the pinnacle of modern MTB drivetrains functionally. It may not be the absolute lightest, but it is cheaper than XX1 if you set it up with a single ring (considerably so and that can’t be denied) and it is more reliable and far better made, and you don’t need a new wheel or freehub to fit it.

SRAM innovate well, but as far as i am concerned, that is it.

mashiehood
    Free Member

That’s the worst of all worlds though! You’ve spent XX1 money, but only have the range of XTR! Lightest set up though.

Money was not the consideration, more what I had in the ‘bin’ and wanting to go 1 ring up front. I was already running XX cassette and XTR rear mech with XX/hollowgram crank. So, I purchased a leonardi spider for my hollowgram crank and installed an XX1 ring.

Coming up to 12 months and happy with the range + its the lightest possible setup i can think of. Im just waiting for Shimano to show us the next phase of XTR before I make wholesale changes.

njee20
    Free Member

£95 actually, XT cassette is £40, XTR £135

I linked to an XX1 cassette for £205 at the first place I looked, and someone else said they’d got one for £195.

but it is cheaper than XX1 if you set it up with a single ring (considerably so and that can’t be denied)

It’s also heavier. XT is even cheaper if you set it up 1×10, and Deore ‘wins’ that argument.

Money was not the consideration, more what I had in the ‘bin’ and wanting to go 1 ring up front. I was already running XX cassette and XTR rear mech with XX/hollowgram crank. So, I purchased a leonardi spider for my hollowgram crank and installed an XX1 ring.

Coming up to 12 months and happy with the range + its the lightest possible setup i can think of. Im just waiting for Shimano to show us the next phase of XTR before I make wholesale changes.

I should’ve put a smiley in there somewhere, I was kidding, as you say that’s about the lightest set up you could get.

gavstorie
    Free Member

There is so much hate in this sport…. especially for technological advances…

first it was 650b … now its xx1…

I’m going to p*ss you all off then… I have a 650b with XX1.. and so far so good…

mactheknife

Okay guys, enough please. I bought X01 because it was what i wanted after looking at the full pros and cons. With the riding i do mainly, big mountain stuff and hopefully a lot of enduro racing this year it made sense to me over the 2 x 9 i was running. I honestly do not care what anyone else bangs on their bike, its their choice. But i will never say anyone is wrong for having different gear than me.

GEDA – Member

Mate, did you actually mean this??

Messiah, that looks pretty familiar terrotory 🙂 Angus glens by any chance?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

There is so much hate in this sport…. especially for technological advances…

I’m going to p*ss you all off then… I have a 650b with XX1.. and so far so good…

Don’t say that, someone might find it distasteful 🙄

daver27
    Free Member

its only a few grams, and weight isn’t everything. i’ll take reliability over absolute lightweight.

We all have our opinions, neither are absolute. for me, cost, performance (and the continuation thereof) and reliability are far more important than an extra cog, a slightly lower gear and a few grams lighter.

tomhoward

I’m going to p*ss you all off then… I have a 650b with XX1

I think I can top that, as well as the above, my next bike purchase may well have a carbon frame, carbon rims and electonically controlled suspension. I dont think I’ll ever ride it, for fear of being lynched.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘XX1 here i come :-)’ is closed to new replies.