• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ojom.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • XX1 grinding/creaking/clicking
  • coogan
    Free Member

Last few rides I’ve been getting this grinding/creaking noise. I think it’s the chain.

So far I’ve:
    1. Cranks off, cleaned and regressed BB.
    2. Pedals off and greased.
    3. Throughly cleaned and oiled cassette.
    4. Span pedals with no chain and no noise.
    5. Rear derailleur straight.
    6. Hubs fine.
    7. All bolts checked and tight.
    8. Can find no stiff links in chain.

Seems to happen in the higher gears, but gets worse when muddy throughout drive train. It’s like a clicking noise and if you turned the pedals and put your hand near the base of the downtube you can feel a vibration as the drive moves.

Going to order a new chain, mate had similar problem and he’s certain it’s the chain. Makes a horrible noise and very annoying! Stretched/worn chain? Any ideas? Anyone had similar problem?

Cheers.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

If not the chain, try taking the cassette off a covering the free hub body in anti-seize. I have to do this every couple of weeks to keep things running quietly.

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Are your jockey wheels clean? I had what you described on a muddy ride recently. It went after I cleared the very sticky mud off the jockey wheels. I think the SRAM jockey wheels are known for not clearing mud brilliantly.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Come to the pub and I’ll help

coogan
    Free Member

Jockey wheels very clean. Free hub body an idea.

cynical you were already on my ‘must call Al’ list!

mtbel
    Free Member

you sure your freehub bearings are in good nick?
    if the outboard one goes it can sometimes freewheel/spin with no noise in the lower gears but make annoying creaks etc. in the wee sprockets.
    What hub is it?

coogan
    Free Member

Hope Pro II

mtbel
    Free Member

exactly what I describe happens with ProIIs when the outboard bearing fails.
    check the outboard side of the freehub for play around the axle

xcstu
    Free Member

XX1 rear mech? If so the clutch on them make a right old noise if start! Strip and grease solves it!

lightman
    Free Member

I had a creaking noise for ages which I was positive was coming from the BB area, after weeks of cleaning and re-greasing everything, I decided to clean the pawls, and that fixed the problem.
    It turned out to be little bits of dirt that had got in there, silent bike once again.

rickon
    Free Member

If its only higher gears, try pushing your b tension screw in a bit. Wind it in a few threads.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Worn chainring? Mine sounded & felt like a bag of nails until I changed it, silent again since.

coblck
    Free Member

Chainring try change it quite a common issue, blackspire do a great aftermarket one that fits xx1 bcd as good as original if not better.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Worn chainring, possibly combined with a clicky clutch. Chain and cassette probably still OK – normally easily outlast the chainring.

coogan
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for all the replies, will have an inspection this evening.

Rickos
    Free Member

Mine’s been doing exactly the same for the last couple of rides and it’s only 154 miles old. Definitely sounds as though it’s coming from the cassette/hub area.

Let me know how you get on Voshy.

winstonsmith

maybe you need to buy a 5010 instead?

coogan
    Free Member

Will do rickos.

5010 winston? Pfft. Every sucker buys those…

strike
    Free Member

I had a noisy XX1 drivatrain and it turned out to be the bolt that attaches the mech to the frame – alu bolt-on-alu mech body and with no grease was leading to creaking/ticking noises. Easy to remove the bolt and re-grease – the instructions can be found on the SRAM tech page.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My 8 speed set up works great! :mrgreen:

Seriously Steve do you read your FB notifications?

DavidB
    Free Member

Check for loose spokes as well

coogan
    Free Member

@cynical – yep. None from you though, did you message me?

ojom
    Free Member

Happy to take a look cockbag.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘XX1 grinding/creaking/clicking’ is closed to new replies.