Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Xtracycle+Ti+Rohloff-Advice please
  • flamejob
    Free Member

I’m want to Xtracycle my custom Ro-Ti cruiser (AKA Flameboy) and seeing that the frame is specifically designed for my Rohloff I want to iron out any foreseeable problems? I read stuff about the calliper mount being a 205 for a 165 rotor and stuff like that so need advice from extracyclists and maybe anyone else who could spot issues.

Now I live in Zurich I am pretty confident that I can commute on it and lock it up outside my office (believe it or not!)

Here are the ‘oily bits’

PB010046

I’ll change the brake to a deore or something, but don’t really want to change the rotor unless I have to.

Stoner
    Free Member

hi fj.

I think if youre going to ‘hoff and xtracycle, you might need to use the torque arm because the mount is in an odd position. You need a 165 mount for a 205 rotor which means the axle is too far away from the speedbone…I think ❓

flamejob
    Free Member

OOhh.. I get ya!

What a pain in the bum. That means I need the torque arm (might still have it somewhere), and a new big rotor and some new brakes.

My first reaction was – I’ll just stick some V-brakes on it. Then I remembered the rims…Dooh!
    This is going to get expensive.

Where did you get your kit? Hummuch etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

Xtracycle from practical cycles.

wheels off classifieds

had some LX calipers lying around so got some cheap sub-deore levers off ebay and fitted hydro hose off the reel.

Avid 205mm rotor – weighs a ton, but weight not really a problem.

My rohloff goes in my Ti29er when it’s not SS. I use a bodged speedbone of my own design as a torque arm. I also have the torque arm, but Im afraid whilst its surplus to requirement now, I may need it in the future so cant offer it to you much as Id love to be able to.
    [img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K0VvgOdsFK8/STQAT7FEoMI/AAAAAAAAGHE/69j7Atq8YIs/s640/img_8391.jpg[/img]

flamejob
    Free Member

Ooh that’s really neat.
    I would have included a torque nipple* on my frame’s drawing, but I had never seen a Rohloff before I drew it 🙄

I might just order the kit and go from there. That disk business is a pain the the rear though.

*Thats what I am calling it!

Stoner
    Free Member

it is for a hoff.

theres a thread lingering around at the moment with some stuff on custom hoff rotors. midlantrailquestgraham has recently posted on it I think

EDIT when I first had mine I didnt have a rotor for it because SJS were out of stock. But I went riding on it anyway…. Y Das decent (brecon beacons) on Carbon rigid and only a front brake 🙂 dumb or what?

This one http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rohloff-rotor-options although I don’t think there’s much there relevant to this question.

Stoner
    Free Member

well a 205mm hoff rotor has to be a custom one no?

flamejob
    Free Member

Ta for that Graham
    It’s a massive irk that you need such a massive rotor on there. For normal hubs it’s a slight inconvenience, but for us it’s a big PITA

I don’t know if you could really call it custom.
    I guess SJS just got Hope to make a batch for them for tandem use. I’ve not seen anything like it anywhere else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you need a floater ?

when my lbs phoned hope they said they would make a standard rotor in any size i wanted

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve used a monkey bone on mine instead of the speed bone, it’s a lot neater.

http://www.cyclemonkey.com/monkey_bone.shtml

You will probably need to type it in as links don’t seem to work from iPhone, well from mine anyway.

flamejob
    Free Member

Hey lips. I’ll need a picture of that on your bike- there’s a good chap 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

Will do, sorry about the delay I’ve only just seen the last post. Will get photo on here tomorrow.

flamejob
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m still bauking at the idea of buying the kit and a whole brake setup. I paso have to figure out how to fit mudguards.

lipseal
    Free Member

Here you go flamejob, it gives you an idea how everything fit together.

emaroid
    Free Member

Monkeybones only come in 160mm or 180mm as I’ve just ordered the 180mm from head-for-the-hills cycle shop with free delivery. Seems to be the only place in the UK that sells them.

lipseal
    Free Member

emarold did you not try them direct?

flamejob
    Free Member

Oh.
    It just occurred to me that these photos are kind of irrelevant to this thread because they are not on an extracycle.

I guess I will have to order the kit and bodge it myself!

emaroid
    Free Member

Did try direct and was told HFTH was the only place. Post office have managed to lose it so had to order another!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Xtracycle+Ti+Rohloff-Advice please’ is closed to new replies.