Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • XTR Triple to Single
  • russback
    Free Member

I’ve got an XTR triple crankset (3×10) and I’d like to move to a 1×10 setup. I’m hoping the XTR crank arms will fit to any 104mm single ring and bashguard (and maybe chain guide) and that I can keep the existing 10 speed rear mech and cassette.

Anybody able to offer any advice on that? Like most things it seems like there are a million options but not everything is compatible.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Which model XTR? There was one that was a bit funny in BCD.

njee20
    Free Member

He’s right! If it’s M970 or M980 you’re away, M960 is more of a pain! As you’re 10 speed I’m assuming M980, so yes, fit a narrow wide ring of your choice, don’t mess around with guides and what not.

ska-49
    Free Member

What Njee said. M985 has a funny BCD though.

russback
    Free Member

I’ll have to check which one it is. Narrow/wide ring – I assumed they were for the new 11spd setups with different chain, cassette, mech etc. I guess not then?

ska-49
    Free Member

Nope- Narrow wide can be used with any gear combination on the back, 1×9/10/11. Not sure it works with 6/7/8 speed due to the chain.
    Using a clutch mech will further reduce the chance of dropping a chain though.

russback
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xtr-trail-m980-10-speed-triple-chainset/rp-prod83547 but I’ll have to check when I get back home

russback
    Free Member

As it’s a Shimano setup, would that rule out the SRAM ring? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-x01-x1-x-sync-narrow-wide-chainring/rp-prod109082. I’m assuming that if the bolt circle is the same then the it should all fit fine?

ska-49
    Free Member

Save yourself some cash and buy a Works/E-13/RaceFace/Hope/Superstar N-W chainring. All are cheaper and do the same job.

russback
    Free Member

ska-49 thanks for your advice – very useful.

The other thing is a bashguard – universal or limited for the crank? And rear mech needs replacing. I currently have an XTR long cage with clutch. Thinking of an XT replacement with mech clutch. Or maybe the Saint – not sure of the benefits of short vs long cage on those 2 models

ska-49
    Free Member

Not sure what bash would work with the m980 cranks as they have the tab covers. If you can run them without the covers then I guess a normal bash would work? Again, bash matches the BCD of the cranks so if its 104mm you should be fine.

I guess you’ll be replacing the cassette too. Have you seen the One-up 42t cog? http://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/42-tooth-sprocket – might be worth considering if replacing the drivetrain. Gives you greater gear range and closer to 11spd but far cheaper.

Long vs short cage also depends on the range of the cassette. Seems that lots of people can run 11-36t with a short cage. With the new clutch mechs the cage length gets less important as it doesn’t slap around much anymore.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

what do you need a bash guard for?

russback
    Free Member

I’ve actually got a recently replaced 10 spd XT cassette but that extra cog looks interesting

russback
    Free Member

Anyone know of a good online guide to gear ratios? I’m assuming 32t would be the way to go on the front but i must confess the details are lost on me

njee20
    Free Member

What Njee said. M985 has a funny BCD though.

Indeed, which is 88mm, but it’s only available as a double.

As for calculators: This is the usual one, although this one is a lot more exciting, and perhaps easier to understand.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Running short cage with 34T and 11-36 here.

I like it. It looks better, and feels like there’s less mech to foul things.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

88BCD XTR and Wolftooth chainring

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘XTR Triple to Single’ is closed to new replies.