Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XTR shorter + Saint shifter = Heavy shift?
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi all,

I just moved over to 10 speed and have encountered something unexpected. I was running 9 speed XTR 970 shifter with a saint mech on a sram PG990 32t cassette. It was awesome but I have a another bike that could do with it.and fancied the extra gear that an 11-36 would give me and the benefits of the clutch mech. I have replaced it with an XTR 980 shifter, a new saint mech and an XT cassette. I know pull ratios of 10 speed are different but the shifting is really heavy, even with the clutch off.

Is this normal or is something sounding off?

John

Northwind

Sounds wrong to me, the 980 shifters I’ve used have been so light you’d think the cable was broken- horrible.

Jeffus
    Free Member

They are heavy with the clutch mech turned on , super light like 9 speed version when clutch is off, on both my bikes 😀

somafunk

Perhaps the clutch needs adjusting? – i have the same set up as yourself but i use a zee clutch mech and the action is silky smooth, even with the clutch switched on and with the clutch switched off it can change by the power of thought, have a google on how to adjust the clutch mechanism and make sure it is lubed, a piece of piss to do this, all clutch mechs have a heavier pull when the clutch is on as it limits the free movement of the Derailleur arm btw.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Awesome, well I will strip it apart tomorrow and investigate further. I don’t think Exeter weather will be allowing for any outings anyways. I did see something about adjusting the clutch band on t’internet so will give it a go. Also just realised my phone kindly auto corrected shifter to shorter, if any mod would be so kind as to change the title so I don’t look like a moron that would be appreciated!

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘XTR shorter + Saint shifter = Heavy shift?’ is closed to new replies.