Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • XTR shifters, worth it?
  • Cabri
    Free Member

Following an accident which has left me with a weakened thumb I can’t change up on the chain ring, I have to take my hand off the grip and push with forefinger and thumb, I currently have XT shifters.

I have changed cables etc and it still depends too much force which my thumb can’t cope with on it’s own and with pain.

Do XTR front shifters have a ‘lighter push’ with the thumb. I managed a long ride at weekend but it’s a bit awkward when the terrain is bumpy to take the hand off the grip. Any other ideas will be welcome.

Cheers.

postierich
    Free Member

No! not last years anyway!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

drop me an email at cruz.heckler@gmail.com

radoggair
    Free Member

Yes, but maybe try gripshift for yourself

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

could you fashion something to make the lever longer, therefore more leverage, less strain on your thumb.

When I had problems of that nature in the mid 90s, strain injury caused by the shifter, I did as above and fitted grip shifters.

alexpalacefan

I’ve got a very similar problem.

A 2nd hand SRAM X0 grip shift off here sorted me out

APF

grtdkad

You appear to be asking two questions. Are they worth it and will they help with your injured thumb?

I have had XTR shifters on my last few bikes and can only say that I don’t think too much about gear changes – it’s an effortless process, with easy and reliable selection.

Will I buy XTR again. Yes, definitely.

As to your poorly thumb….

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have some in VGC for £60 posted if you are interested?
    robjackson@hotmail.co.uk

dale
    Free Member

what about the flappy paddle levers, no thumbs necessary

Cabri
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, yes, the question is more to ease changing with my injured thumb. I have tried extending the lever lengthways with a mecano type bar and also sticking a grip end to raise my position. Still no help.

You don’t actually realise how important your thumb is until it doesn’t ‘work’ properly. As for gripshift, it might have to be in the future but as my scaphoid was touched, luckily not broken, turning the wrist is still a bit weak. Rob, nice offer, but I’m in France.

My accident was 24th Sept, I was told the thumb heals slowly, it is an inconvenience but am lucky I can still get out and ride.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The force required to shift is determined by the spring in the mech, nothing to do with the shifter. So no, not worth going to XTR at the shifter. I expect the XTR mech has the same spring anyway, so no gain there.

I did my thumb a couple of years ago, I used the palm of my hand to operate the shifter, bit of a pain, but worked no problem. Can’t work out what you are doing with your thumb and forefinger, but try taking your hand off the bar and using the palm of your hand.

Cabri
    Free Member

Just tried with my palm and no go. Female hands see.

I take my hand off the bar and sort of pinch the lever between my forefinger and thumb and push, that way there’s no pain.

pottsathome
    Free Member

Single speed it is

scu98rkr
    Free Member

XTR shifter feel nicer, I think because they are smoother and more accurate. But I think you still need the same force.

Cabri
    Free Member

Think I’d rather make do with the inconvenience than go single speed but I suppose it’s like a lot of things in life, you don’t know if you’re going to like it if you haven’t tried it.

Let’s hope electric mtb shifters come out soon!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Definitley worth trying dual control shifters.Very light shift action and gear changes are a mere flick up or down with your fingers.
    Does mean you will need Shimano brakes if you don`t already have them.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The force required to shift is determined by the spring in the mech, nothing to do with the shifter.

Not quite. The shift mechanism in the XTR is supported by four bearings, rather than two in XT or plastic bushings on SLX/Deore, so friction is significantly less. All else (cables, routing, mech) being equal, the difference between XT and XTR is notable. The extra support (less play) in the XTR also means that shifting is more precise. Definitely worth the cash, in my opinion.

twohats
    Free Member

If its the front shifter you’re having problems with, get rid and go 1×9 or 1×10.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

A friend and I recently swapped bikes out on a ride and the first thing he commented on was how easy the shifting was. I have full XTR with Gore cables and he has XT with XTR cables (all newish and well maintained).

I have the same setup on both of my bikes and don’t envisage going back.

Gore cables made quite a difference and are much more consistent than regular cables, almost zero maintenace too.

Superficial
    Free Member

XTR shifters do feel luxurious but I’m not convinced they’re significantly easier to move.

Worth the money in my book but will it solve your problem? I have my doubts.

Cabri
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve got the legs to go mono plateau, and as I haven’t got Shimano brakes and am with the ones I’ve got, duel control or gripshifts may be a possibility next year if the condition doesn’t get any better.

I know that my front derailleur (XT) is quite ‘resistant’ Perhaps changing to Gore cables, a good cleaning, greasing might aid a little bit.

I appreciate your replies in any case. If I had only been a bit more vigilent and saw the netting before arriving at mach 3 and landing on my left hand and bending the thumb and wrist back, ouch, hurts thinking about it, this post wouldn’t have existed. lol

foxyrider
    Free Member

Like my XTR’s – but I didn’t pay full price – second hand – not sure I pay full price but they are very nice and much much better at shifting – haven’t changed my outer in years and I am sure they would need it if I was using a cheaper shifter 🙂

kona100
    Free Member

Yeah, new cables and outers will ease things more than you might realize.

Cheaper than new shifters!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Why not try the Shimano dual controls I think they would be ideal for your thumb problem, I have used them on a few of my bikes over the years and it would totally take your thumb out of the equation on shifting. The latest ones look a lot neater than the older ones and work smoother. You can pick them up at very good prices in XTR and XT level. Shimano brakes are great too, so there is no pay off in terms of having to use the brake levers that only work on Shimano calipers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Jolly Green Giant – Member
    Definitley worth trying dual control shifters.

Wish I’d thought to suggest that, it’s a brilliant solution, used them for many years and really liked them, only the fashion police forced me to change 😳 . dual control works with a rapid rise rear mech, so you’d probs have to buy one of those aswell. the dual controls can be picked up pretty cheap, as no one wants them anymore. You may want to try the action whilst holding onto your bars.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ID3suA00s[/video]

clubber
    Free Member

Suprised no one has suggested it as a possibility but how about trying 1×10? Remove the need for a LH shifter.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

dual control works with a rapid rise rear mech, so you’d probs have to buy one of those as well

It also works perfectly well with a normal rear mech. I have them on all 4 MTB’s and as they stopped making them, when they die I will cry…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

xtr m970 shifters were cosiderably nice/smoother/easier than xt m770 shifters in 9 speed

but i must say im running xt 10 speed now and they are just as good as the xtr m970s in 9 speed…..if the new xtr 10 speed ones are a step up from the new xt 10 speed then they must be pretty impressive!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘XTR shifters, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.