Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Xtr Shadow Plus rear mech
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

has anybody got one of these? are they worth the money, just noticed lately ive been getting quite a fair bit of chainslap, i dont want to run a bash, but would love to stop the chain moving quite as much if possible?

does it shift as well as a normal xtr mech? as ive read that it can feel quite stiff etc?

any real user reviews appreciated 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

Get one, you won’t regret it…unless you end up snapping it off on some rocks that is! 😀
    I’ve had mine for months. I’d kind of forgot about it as it just does its job. The first thing you would notice is how quiet it makes things. It stops most chainslap, except on the real rocky stuff but I don’t think I’ve dropped the chain since fitting it. The shifting is a little bit stiffer but you soon get used to it, it doesn’t make it any less smooth.

rwc03
    Free Member

I really rate mine but it was expensive. The shifting is slightly stiffer when it’s engaged but I only notice it when I’m playing with the gears in the stand. Turned it off for a ride recently as I’d bent my rear mech and didn’t really notice a difference.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I love mine but worry about the longevity of the carbon cage as have seen a few snapped examples. I think Shimano are bringing an XT and SLX version out later in the year if you can hold off.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks for the responses folks, its obviously more over rocky stuff im hoping to stop the chainslap more, does it make a noticeable differecne to rocky stuff?? i dont mind a tiny bit but at the moment its taking my chain off sometimes and making a right racket, if it eliminates most of it on the rocky stuff then it will be worth it, sounds promising that shifting is not compromised to much either

blahblahblah
    Free Member

I, for one, am waiting patiently for the SLX version for 2013. I don’t *need* a new rear mech but it would be lovely to improve chain slap.

Let us know if pull the trigger on on OW and whether it lives up to your expectations.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ooohh and also whats it like for fitting? is it just a case of sorting the limit screws/b tension etc? or do you have to sort out the gubbins inside the mech too?

can setup a rear mech no problem really so hopefully just as normal

PaulD
    Free Member

They come with full instructions including how to find the hidden tool for periodc tensioning adjustments.

PaulD

Rathers
    Free Member

All mechs will be like this soon, this tech will trickle down as its one of the “BIG S`s” better ideas. SRAM are currently “adopting” the idea too.

Alot of people dont realise you can adjust the tension in the mech by removing the cover and using the tool supplied (kept inside the mech!) you can loosen the “lockout” right off.

This stops the stiffer shifting action when the gold lever is engaged. It doesnt need to be set on full lock or “stiffest setting” to stop the cage from moving.

You can pick one up for £125 on CR using £10 off this weekend! Bargain!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Xtr Shadow Plus rear mech’ is closed to new replies.