Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XTR – race or trail cranksets and other drivetrain options
  • Andy_B

What’s the difference?

I have a bike with a worn out drivetrain and I’m weighing up the various options but I don’t know what the difference between XTR race and trail actually is and if it even matters. Looking at a full replacement as it’s on old 8 speed kit right now. I have XT 9 speed on the other bike and it’s really great but I could go any way on this. I also like the idea of Middleburn – will the new external BB work on my andystand? Will it shift really sweetly? I’d love to go with the Hope cassette but I need it this month so that’s ruled out as far as I know.

Initial spend isn’t a major issue but overall value is. I wouldn’t want to pay XTR prices for XT longevity.

RealMan
    Free Member

I thought the difference between race and trail was just the chainring sizes? Have you looked on the shimano site? Or anywhere?

chapps
    Free Member

XTR Race and Trail use different rings.

I think from memory Trail is in Double or Triple but they have been crafty with the spider I think its the same and have simply put blanking plates over where a 3rd ring will fit on the DBL. Both share the same BCD PCD.

Race is more “Race” orientated obviously and tend to run bigger higher gear ratios. The double is a true double i.e no blankers but rings cant be swapped from a Trail DBL to race and vice versa.

Best place to see all this is in the Shimano Docs.

Ive had all the XTR chainsets bar one and they are for me the benchmark in shifting and stiffness.
    I wouldnt say its going to last you any longer than XT at all though in ring wear etc. Its finish-weight-stifness really.
    I used the Middleburn Duo and that worked well.
    All the FSA chainsets Ive used have been crap.
    Ive just used a basic Sram-Truvativ DBL on a Whyte T120 and was most impressed.

I think if I were you I would check your options and the price of replacement rings for them all as well as ultimatley ring prices can be film star money now and may sway your choice.

Mike

Radioman

I went for SLX with a race face lightweight bash ring as i preferred the look. Spend wasn’t the major issue either but I still just can’t get the value in XTR cranks with their unique rings. I’m a comitted double and bash rider though 🙂

Dan1502
    Free Member

I have a set of Truvativ XX 26/39 for sale brand new. You’ll see details in my thread history but they’re now on ebay.

br
    Free Member

tbh I’d be seriously looking at Middleburn, especially now they’re HT2 compatible.

I run an older 960 XTR chainset and use Middleburn rings – and based on the price of Shimano rings, I wouldn’t want to be in a position to have to buy theirs.

For example, previous model, secondhand and still £80:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-xtr-m970-rings

njee20
    Free Member

Never liked Middleburn rings myself, may last slightly longer, but don’t work as well! My xx cranks weren’t that good either, heavier than XTR and chainring life was very poor.

Depends on the ratios you want really, trail comes in triple or small doubles, race comes in bigger doubles, but with a unique 88mm (IIRC) BCD. My bike came with the 30/42 double, I’ve swapped to a 36t single.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XTR – race or trail cranksets and other drivetrain options’ is closed to new replies.