Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • XTR or X0 for 2×10 [FS 29er] ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

new XTR or X0 and why ?

Thanks in advance fellas 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I had XX in 2010 and XTR in 2011. XTR all the way, in every respect.

XX cassette was a work of art, but was so expensive I didn’t want to ride in the mud, chainring longevity was dire, as it was on the jockey wheels (£120 for OEM replacements), the brakes were utter toss, every time you leant the bike over they’d come back to the bars (I understand they’ve sorted that for 2012, but it’s too late for me to want to try again!).

The shifting ergonomics were better than any SRAM shifter I’ve used, but still worse than XTR IMO, but that’s obviously personal.

Now gone 1×10 on the XTR, but I’d not go back to SRAM unless I had to.

LoCo
    Free Member

XTR

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bikerbruce
    Free Member

i dont honestly know why you’d even contemplate xo? haha 980xtr is fantastic,i had no amount of xx related problems last year it certainly does not last either ! xo is like shimano slx level if we’re honest…the upshift on xtr is good enought to make you buy the whole lot
    Bruce

Nobby

XTR

mashiehood
    Free Member

XTR all the way

the_lecht_rocks

wow – thanks fellas – was running 9 speed XTR previously…..thought about a change but this makes good reading……

jonjones262
    Free Member

Slx. The others are crazy prices.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve only got 9speed XTR and have only tried 9 pseed SRAM stuff but XTR for drivetrain for me, really don’t get on with the SRAM shifters and have had no reliability issues with XTR (other than a cracked 12yr old M950 shifter pod, which still works). I’ll run my M970 stuff into the ground.
    I have SRAM chains though.

the_lecht_rocks

indeed – the Shimano longevity is legendary………..

njee20
    Free Member

Vastly superior to SRAM in this instance… My XX big ring would’ve made a good bash guard after 6 months. That’s £105 please.

stratobiker
    Free Member

I wish someone from SRAM would read this thread……I have XX and I hate it.

another vote for XTR.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I swapped from X0 to XTR recently.

The only thing SRAM I kept was the XX cassette, as it was 2/3 of the weight of the same size XTR one (11-36).

Shame, as for 9spd I think the X0 stuff was way better. I’m not sure what’s gone wrong with it.

cheers_drive

I quite like Sram on by road bike but they have fell a long way behind on mtb groupsets. They have really gone after the OEM market though – just look how many big brand bikes Sram is speced on. Maybe that will change if we all stop buying any bikes Sram equipped bikes.

the_lecht_rocks

thanks a lot fellas – XTR drivetrain and trail brakes coming up….. unless the Hope Evo Tech X2 are better ?

LoCo
    Free Member

Brakes, hmmm, yes Hopes are fully rebuildable and the new Evos are supposed to be very good, not quite ordered mine yet

bol

Keep up the SRAM bashing chaps. It’ll keep the price down in the classifieds for the likes of me. I’ve had XX for over a year without a single problem and no discernible wear. I think the XTR cranks are probably better (and nicer looking).

scaredypants

what about that yummymummy or whatever it’s called. surely that’s even more costly ?

the_lecht_rocks

yumeya – restricted to chain only [and brilliant too on my 9spd]

Hadge
    Free Member

I mix it up as I like SRAM shifting compared to the big S and my XX World Cup brakes have been faultless. I love my XTR M970 crank as they are mega stiff but I run a single 34t Goldtec ring anyway. As for my cassette I’ve ran both SRAM and Shimano and I’ve plumbed for gold XT as it’s superb in use and cheap as chips to replace. I’ve always used either XT or XTR front mechs but my X0 stuff as lasted ages and worked superbly so hence why I’ve stuck to SRAM this time.

mcboo
    Free Member

XTR came on my new bike, silky smooth, silent, light and pretty. My old xtr group did me 6yrs and hardly had to touch it. Just about to spec out my Ti456 with 10spd XTR gears and shifters, crankset later.

andrewh
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    thanks a lot fellas – XTR drivetrain and trail brakes coming up….. unless the Hope Evo Tech X2 are better ?

Despite praising XTR above I do use Formula R1 brakes, much better than anything from Shimano or Hope and I didn’t like the feel of the Magura levers (which I had almost decided on due to the warranty) However, I still say XTR for the drivetrain.

the_lecht_rocks

xtr drivetrain – hope evo x2 brakes – decision made 🙂

Dan1502
    Free Member

I would probably have gone for XTR, especially now the new rear mech has come out but I wanted lower ratios up front for my 29er. A new XX full drivetrain set came up cheap in the classifieds so I bought it, sold the cranks and am fitting X0 with lower ratios and an MRP guide up front. I hope it’s alright – some of your comments have me worried as I’ve only used Shimano before (XT and XTR 9 speed and XT 10 speed triple).

njee20
    Free Member

Sell the cassette – you’ll get a small fortune and can get something slightly heavier and vastly cheaper!

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got XO 10 speed on one bike and 10 speed XT on the other, XT has it hands down. The X0 looks really cheap for a start and the rear mech is dire compared to X0 of old – no carbon for a start!

Shimano isn’t exciting but it does work and it keeps working, which is more than I can say for SRAM.

The other option as mentioned is to mix and match. I got a good deal on a set of Middleburn RS8 cranks and Chris King BB, look much nicer than SRAM stuff, bit niche and seems bombproof. Paired with XTR shifters and 10 speed rear mech (cos I keep ripping them off) and I upgraded the jockey wheels to ceramics (which was pointless). Running MT8 brakes which are mint! All works really well and haven’t had to touch it which is pretty good considering its on my full susser…

That said I run R1’s as well, brilliant brakes and far superior to Avids (which are total bobbins)

the_lecht_rocks

yeah – thinking XTR all the way now, thanks 🙂

ton

what 29r full sus is it for?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Clutch mech on the new xtr is fantastic. No more chainslap

bol

Just fitted full X0 to my Niner, following my very positive experience of XX. It’ll probably all explode at the same time as the wheels. 🙄

ianpinder
    Free Member

Ton helius ac 29er

the_lecht_rocks

yeah – Helius AC 29er to replace my 26″ VF2 and Helius AM.

DanW
    Free Member

Just to add a few comments that haven’t been mentioned yet for anyone looking for more opinions (loads around the web already though!)…

First, I would say both are very good.

I would say that shifting from SRAM is quicker and smoother than my previous XTR…. in the dry

My main gripe with SRAM is that the rear mech doesn’t seem to perform that well in the mud- the jockey wheels seem to get clogged pretty easily which in turn makes shifting a little imprecise and the chain doesn’t always settle in the correct gear.

Aftermarket spares and bling upgrades are also more readily available for Shimano.

As far as cassettes go I would say get a 12-28 Ultegra (or Dura-Ace if you are flash) and save tons of weight and money on the MTB equivalents. Durability has not been a problem at all for me over the winter, and the closer ratios are a real plus.

Finally, I don’t know why anyone would go for Hope’s XC brakes when there are so many better options on offer. I personally went for R1’s and have been blown away with the performance. The new XTR brakes seems to get good reviews too.

It’s nice to be in a position to worry about XTR or X0 😉

Dan1502
    Free Member

I take the point about selling the XX cassette and buying cheaper but as I got it all cheap it’s probably the only chance I’ll get to try it. Either that or I might just put it on a base and display it on my desk!

bol

Rode my RIP with XO for the first time just now, and it was perfectly crisp and accurate in the slurry. Looks a lot more understated that XTR too. A little less in your face, bling-wise (particularly in grey/black).

TLR, one thing to make sure is that you get the ratios right for a 29er. I haven’t, and need to change from a 42/28 on the front to something like a 39/26. Just feels too highly geared with cacao rings designed for a 26er.

the_lecht_rocks

Aha. Yes, ratios.. I’ll go for easier to climb as I never spin out downhill…

Northwind

Does 10-speed X0 have any substantial benefit over X9? 9-speed didn’t. Seems from the stuff I’ve used that Shimano 10-speed is the better option- they’ve pinched some good ideas from SRAM and executed the whole thing really well.

I’d be well interested to try that new XTR rear mech with the tensiony thing.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘XTR or X0 for 2×10 [FS 29er] ?’ is closed to new replies.