Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XTR or Saint rear mech?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Looking to change my rear mech from the Zee I currently have for something with a little more finesse. I do the odd uplift day but would be tempted to keep the Zee and swap over for those days as I have a spare set of wheels/chain/cassette.

Current set-up is:

XTR shifter
    XTR Chainset with AB 32t oval
    XT 11/36 cassette with SS 40T & 16T to replace the 15/17T’s
    Zee FR with OneUp RadR cage.

The RadR will fit either the Saint or XTR..which would you choose?

stevied
    Free Member

Anyone? 🙁

gonzy
    Free Member

tricky one as the saint only comes as a short cage but the xtr is available as a medium or long cage.
    weight could be an issue as the xtr will be much lighter, but the saint should no doubt be the more robust.
    price wise the saint seems a fair bit cheaper too
    the benefit of the xtr is that it will come with a 3 year warranty over the 2 year you will get with the saint.
    from a re-sale point of view the xtr holds more kudos

but if it was my money then i would go for the saint

what bike is it going on and what shifter will be controlling the mech?

stevied
    Free Member

Can get Saint for £73, XTR for £89.
    Will be going on an Intense 6.6
    XTR shifter and already have a RadR cage, currently on my Zee, so cage length won’t be an issue with either (slightly longer than standard on Saint, slightly shorter on XTR)

Northwind

I don’t think you’ll notice any difference tbh, Zee is perfectly good. Saint is definitely going to be stronger- it’s got an extra brace on the parallelogram- but XTR isn’t flimsy and I reckon is still stronger than the slightly monkey-metal Zee. And I dunno, the radr cage is very good but it doesn’t feel massively strong, the mech’ll always be as weak as the weakest part.

XTR makes most sense I think? Well, XT makes most sense, or sticking with the Zee 😉 But of your choice, I’d go with XTR for anything but a dh bike.

I don’t get the feeling you’re looking for cheaper options, but I’ve got most of a Saint sat in the garage doing nothing- it’s missing its jockey wheels and that wee bastardy bit in the clutch that always breaks, but you could swap the Zee bits into it, they’re interchangable. Just a thought.

honourablegeorge

Not puch point paying extra for XTR;’s carbon cage and swapping it out

nickc

XTR for me. (with a Saint shifter)

cage length makes it a bit more versatile, it’s a bit lighter, no less sturdy, clutch not made of cheese

stevied
    Free Member

Northwind, YGM.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XTR or Saint rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.