Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XTR M980 pedals premature bearing wear – Any one else had this ?
  • zinger
    Free Member

Hi All

I’ve just had to send a 2nd set of XTR M980 pedals back after just 6 months use

As the axle’s have devloped 2-3 mm of play in them and grease was spewing out from pedal body

My previous generation XTR pedals are still going strong after 3 years of use with no play in them

Any one else had this issue ?

crankskins
    Free Member

yep, for the money pretty disappointing, i’m sticking with eggbeaters
    GO RIDE!
    ej

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pretty silly question – but how do you know if the bearings are gone in them? reason i ask is one side of my pedals spins and spins and spins, and the other pedal doesnt, it spins about half a revolution at most before stopping dead? does that sound like the bearing is shot?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

Spins and spins is usually more indicative of bearings being shot!

Very uncharacteristic of Shimano! That was the one thing going for them was the fact they were indestructible.

mrplow
    Free Member

I have the old metal cage DXs. They spin and spin and have been doing it for the past 6 years with no bother.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Not XTRs but I have a set of DX platform SPDs which i’ve been using for ~3months and on one side there is about 5-10mm play.. my old red DX pedals (As above) are still going strong after at least 5years hard use!

Must take them back….

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Mine managed to survive two weeks at the Mega (although my calves didnt, as they’re sharp after catching rocks!) and seem ok after a few months of riding…

Teapot
    Free Member

Have you tried taking them apart and tightening the nut on the end of the axle?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Have you tried taking them apart and tightening the nut on the end of the axle?

This^^

My M985s developed a bit of play quite quickly, which I put down to bedding in.
    It’s easy enough to strip down, regrease and re-tension the bearings, which I did – one of them is running beautifully, the other has developed loads of slop again, but I put that down to my own to my own inability to preload bearings properly TBH, Having said that, I was hoping for something more maintenance free. Great pedals otherwise though.

zinger
    Free Member

There no way you should need to go messing around dis-assembling pedals which are less than a year old

But luckily enough for me I bought the pdeals from a company with a great warranty department

2 Weeks after sending them back to chain reaction they have sent me some brand new ones

Hopefully this pair will last a lot longer like the m970 pedals did

snakebite
    Free Member

My 985’S have play after 8 months or so, bit disappointing really. Had a mess for 5 mins but couldn’t get them apart

scruff
    Free Member

My 985 body has fell off the axle tonight ffs. Had em about a year but only used for 2 months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XTR M980 pedals premature bearing wear – Any one else had this ?’ is closed to new replies.