• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XTR M980 chainset for single ring?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Looking for a new chainset and fancy the XTR (last generation) and trying to work out the various options.
    The M980 appears to be available in double and triple so…

Which would be the best for a single ring set-up and, if I’m removing the rings, will I need new caps like these:

Cheers
    Steve

njee20
    Free Member

Triple is best, doubles either have a slightly quirky chainline, or a unique BCD, although neither is insurmountable.

You won’t need those caps, but you may think it looks better. Personally I don’t – the Shimano ones look good, but the aftermarket ones look a bit crap IMO, as they’re such a different colour to the spider.

gazhurst
    Free Member

I have M980 TRAIL double cranks on my 1 x 11 set up.

You have to make sure its the M980 and not the M985 though. Nick is absolutely right in the the M985 has a 96BCD but the M980 Trail double has 104BCD

I use mine with a 104BCD Wolf Tooth ring (without caps)

sillyoldman

Get a double Trail (M980) version. Race double (M985) has a smaller BCD that limits thick/thin ring options.
    Trail double has the spider caps included. You’d benefit from running 2mm spacers between the spider and ring though, as the double chainset runs a wider chainline than the triple.

njee20
    Free Member

Nick is absolutely right in the the M985 has a 96BCD but the M980 Trail double has 104BCD

88mm on the M985, but yes, point still stands 😉

gazhurst
    Free Member

Its the same as 96BCD, only different HAHA

everyone
    Free Member

The Shimano caps are really nice but they’re stupidly expensive IIRC. I’m not sure I trust anything other than steel bolts for a singlespeed anyway!

stevied
    Free Member

So I’d be going for the M980 (not 985 which is smaller BCD) and triple is better chain line than double? If I got the triple, for aesthetics, I’d need caps of some sort, either Shimano or KCNC type.
    The double would come with the caps I could use?
    I could make a spacer to adjust the chainline, although my XT double runs fine with the single ring

sillyoldman

Same chainline on XTR double as the XT double. 2mm spacer (Wheels Mfg do them) improves things. Cheaper than buying the caps too.

gazhurst
    Free Member

As I say….I use M980 double with a Wolf Tooth (or Absolute Black) ring. No spacers etc and it works perfectly.

I can use the caps with the Wolf Tooth but not the Absolute Black as they don’t quite fit because of the cut outs in the A.B. one

http://www.ukxcnews.com/race-bike-focus-ktm-impsport-team-bike-garry-hurst/

Some pics of my set up here

stevied
    Free Member

Cool, thanks chaps.

adsh
    Free Member

^^ nice bike and interesting write up. Do you use GPS to ‘navigate your cassette’ 😀 How are the ‘dependable M985 pedals’ behaving – in my experience they can be depended on to be undependable in the staying in one piece stakes!

Piss take aside nice bike

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XTR M980 chainset for single ring?’ is closed to new replies.