Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • xtr m970 shifter help?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

changed a inner gear cable on saturday, then sunday found a spring on the kitchen floor and have no idea where its come from? i know its come from there as now when i try to release the shifter from 3rd to 2nd chainring or 2nd to 1st chainring there is no response, i have push it, rather than flick it?

any ideas where this spring has come from? i didnt open up the shifter, just literally took the plastic cap off for the shifter cable?

cheers folks!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Plastic cap? Pretty sure mine just had a screw bung over the cable nipple.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Shifter springs are very much built in to the mech. Do you have a picture? Is it like a shock spring, only much smaller? Could it be from the barrel adjuster?

wwaswas

what onza dog said – surely you just take the small circular bung out of the side of the shifter – I’m not sure how you’d manage to disconnect and remove a spring doing that?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah thats what i thought to be honest, was just the plastic cap i took off….i did have the barrell adjuster out thought as it was jammed in? it may not have come from the shifter, but i cant see where else it did, and the fact my shifter has suddenly stopped crisply downshifting since i changed that 🙁

the spring is about the size of the silver barrel adjuster cap? do the barrel adjusters have a spring on them inside?

wwaswas
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats the bugger wwaswas!

most certainly is! get in, take it is an easy job to get back in again? looks exactly the same size too!

nice one!

wwaswas

easy to get in but you’ll need to take cable out of mech and pull back through outer to get the barrel adjuster off and the spring on (no need to remove cable from mech – just thread everything on/off over cable.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers wwaswas, so will i have to remove the cable from the front mech then? sorry read that and it seems to say both, although ive probably misread 😆

just got my front mech working sweet, other than this for the first time in ages….

sorry to be a numpty 🙂

wwaswas

cabler removed from muech and taken out of cable outers – so it’s just the cable hanging out the mech. Undo barrel adjuster until it falls off so you can run it along cable and off the end. put spring in where needed, run back along cable and back into shifter then rethread cable through outer and attach to mech.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘xtr m970 shifter help?’ is closed to new replies.