Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • XTR m970 cranks with 10 sp rings ? can,t get them to fit
  • sprocker
    Free Member

standard 104 4 bolt, bought a ramped 9/10 blackspire ring and shimano slx 10 speed inner. When I fit the rings with a bash on the outer the granny sits virtually on the middle ring (34t), with no room for the chain. I know the rings are not the same but the section on the blackspire is so thick I can’t see how it work with any ring ? I know the cranks are 9 speed but i had no problem with old atlas cranks and 10sp rings.

wwaswas

didn’t 970 have a funny granny or middle ring spacing?

sprocker
    Free Member

not sure but it certainly looks like that if so I am i committed to very expensive rings !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    plecostomus
    Free Member

I seem to remember that the original rings being slightly deeper (thicker ) so it gives more clearance on the arm. I’ve got a spare 24tooth granny ring for those cranks and its nearly twice as thick as a normal one to hold it further away off the arm and give more clearance. Good old shimano making you buy into them and use their rings too.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Use a bigger hammer.
    Failing that, an angle grinder.
    Hth.

wwaswas
    orangeboy
    Free Member

Middle burn make specific 970 rings but not that much less than genuine xtr an don’t shift as well but seem to be lasting me longer

Milkie
    Free Member

I think you need a spacer for the inner ring…

STW M970 Chainring Thread

EDIT: Beaten to it! 🙄

sprocker
    Free Member

cheers will have a look at middleburn

Northwind

Tiny little spacers is all you need- no need for special rings. But it’s still irritating.

schmiken

You need 2mm M10 spacers to move the granny ring more inboard. Look on Pro Bolt for them.

JCL
    Free Member

Sell them and get some XO’s.

Northwind

No, don’t do that unless you have a things for crap nonstandard BBs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘XTR m970 cranks with 10 sp rings ? can,t get them to fit’ is closed to new replies.