Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • XTR M970 cranks problem
  • seanoc
    Free Member

I bought a set of these cranks a year ago; followed the installation instructions, didn't use a torque wrench but was quite conservative in tightening the main bolt. After a couple of months I noticed a bit of fore and aft movement and on inspection of the non drive arm splines I noticed a bit of deformation. the splines on the steel axle are in immaculate condition.

I've since replaced the non drive crank arm and it appears that the same is happening again.

has anyone else had a similar problem

njee20
    Free Member

didn't use a torque wrench

quite conservative in tightening

There's your problem. You don't want to be conservative on that bolt.

rebus
    Free Member

From parktools site

(45-54 Nm), which is a substantial load. A torque wrench is recommended

seanoc
    Free Member

But the splines of the crank arm appear to have engaged the splines on the axle as much as they can without grounding.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I never use a torque wrench but I practically stood on the allen key to get a whopping load on it.

seanoc
    Free Member

Your joking right?

IA

That bolt would appear to require a torque of "two grunts and a groan". It probably came loose.

IA

They're not joking 45Nm is 4.5kg of force on a metre long tool – that's a lot!

njee20
    Free Member

Did you not maybe think a torque wrench may be sensible after mullering one crank!? You may find it's just come loose again and that by tightening it properly you will get 'past' the damaged splines. Or you may not!

seanoc
    Free Member

I thought a torque wrench would be handy, but that's another £150 quid..not all wrenches are equal.

But I've only got an 8" tool. I guess I'll need to hang a little over 22kg from it?

Thanks chaps I'll give it a bash.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Even using a torque wrench they still advise checking it again after a couple of rides.

Buy a torque wrench.

wwaswas

"But I've only got an 8" tool"

That's quite enough vicar.

I've got a £10 torque wrench which is fine for the sort of load you're looking at here.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

seanoc – Member
    Your joking right?

No. If I was joking I would have said

"A horse walks into a bar and the barman says why the long face?"

But I didn't…

oddjob
    Free Member

Gutted that i was beaten to the "I've only got an 8" tool" quote.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oops. Dumbass!

grumm
    Free Member

If you're gonna buy xtr why not get a torque wrench to make sure you fit it properly.

nickc

So then, to summerise; you f**ked up the installation of a £350 set of cranks because you didn't use the right tool to install them correctly, you replaced a crank arm and STILL didn't do it right, and it's doing the same thing as before, and you wonder what the problem might be?

seanoc
    Free Member

If you're gonna buy xtr why not get a torque wrench to make sure you fit it properly

yep; you're talking to a man that bangs CK headsets in with a lump hammer and a dodd of wood.

So then, to summerise; you f**ked up the installation of a £350 set of cranks because you didn't use the right tool to install them correctly, you replaced a crank arm and STILL didn't do it right, and it's doing the same thing as before, and you wonder what the problem might be?

I guess so; it's been answered now though so thanks.

grumm
    Free Member

yep; you're talking to a man that bangs CK headsets in with a lump hammer and a dodd of wood.

Hehe – I've got a headset press and that was for installing a £20 FSA Orbit headset. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘XTR M970 cranks problem’ is closed to new replies.