Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • xtr m970
  • sausages
    Free Member

I bought an XTR m970 chainset last year hoping that by the time I needed new rings I would find that Middleburn would be making them to fit this chainset – I don’t want to pay the ~£180 for shimano rings, has anyone else fitted anything else to these crank arms?

any suggestions please

s

forge197
    Free Member

If you look around the classifieds they often sell the rings for good money I have two complete sets in my spares stock one was £60 and one was £80, thats for all three rings!!

There was another set yesterday for £80 I think yesterday, but I don’t need anymore really as they seem to last an age

Dibbs
    Free Member

I never understand this, if you can’t afford the replacement rings, why buy XTR in the first place?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sausages
    Free Member

xtr, xt chainrings are rubbish compared to hardcoat middleburn rings,so I never buy shimano. Bought the xtr when it said ‘coming soon’ on the middleburn website, still says coming soon!

njee20
    Free Member

Rubbish how? Shift far better? Ok then…

You can fit whatever you want to the M970 chainset, the only odd thing is the middle ring is quite thick, so I’d advise matching outer and middle ring to get half decent shifting.

TA do one to match the profile of the spider, as obviously non-Shimano rings won’t have the right profile.

If you don’t believe me, here’s my old M970s with other rings…

And I’m in total agreement with Dibbs, don’t buy the parts if you don’t wanna fork out for the spares!

dobo
    Free Member

What chainset you using now njee20?

njee20
    Free Member

S-Works Carbon BB30 😀

dobo
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed, I must admit they feel stiffer than the M970s, and they’re only 540g.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these on order for my new frame, not as light as 540g, but it does have 3 rings 🙂

tails
    Free Member

what is this bb30 thing?

njee20
    Free Member

BB30

It’s basically a threadless BB standard, press fit bearings, narrower q-factor, less weight, bigger axle/bearings for stiffer cranks and better longevity.

3 rings!? Who needs 3, pah!

Offroading
    Free Member

Mine 8)

500 grams with chainrings and Bottom bracket

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t have it yet, theoretical purchases don’t count. 😉

Mine’s better anyway, because it actually gets used, not just photographed and polished!

yetihenry
    Free Member

I ride 4x and want a set of xtrs but run single ring only, obviously I cant buy ringless so I was told to come to this site, how much do the rings go for unused? And would anyone be interested? If I bought them, soon as they arrive take rings off and sent them to you?

mooman
    Free Member

I fitted a middleburn hardcoat slickshift outer to my xtr m970 chainset .. just needed washer to spacer it .. 3rd the price of the shimano .. and will last as long – if not longer … smiles all around!

sausages
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I knew others wouldn’t want to buy shimano.

Love the look of the Clavicula cranks, – hope you have some nice secure pedals that avoid the shoe rub on those cranks!

njee20
    Free Member

I can imagine you’d actually rub a hole through the crank arm if you weren’t careful!

yetihenry
    Free Member

So no one would be interested in a brand new set of xtr rings?

Dibbs
    Free Member

You don’t have it yet, theoretical purchases don’t count.

I’ve just had an email from Windwave saying they’ll be here at the end of the month give or take a week. 🙄

Offroading
    Free Member

yetihenry.

Put them into the Classifieds section mate. IF there brand spanking new you can get £80-£90 for the lot.

Hope that helps.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I had a quick search on the middleburn site and as you say they are down as coming soon, but….. [/url]Middleburn Xtr lists it as a option you need to select hardcoat. Is it possible the mibbleburn site hasn’t been updated? Probably just a mistake in the listing, but you never know.

theheckler
    Free Member

yetihenry
    I’d been intrested in the chainrings

mudshark
    Free Member

I took my XTR rings off and sold them to replace with rings I already had. Just needed to put some washers under the granny ring and all was fine. I only bought the chainset as got for £180 sold the rings for £95; seemed a cheap way to get a light chainset to me!

Marge
    Free Member

njee20

in the photo you showed of the 970 with double extralite chainrings what tooth number are they?
    I’ve seen on the extralite website they offer a 2×9 conversion including a 30 tooth inner ring to fit to a standard 104 pcd crank.

I’m thinking of making this conversion…

Offroading
    Free Member

42/30 i think

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘xtr m970’ is closed to new replies.