Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XTR M960 brake fail, what to do now?
  • handyman153
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Just been out for a little ride, and about a mile from home, my rear brake kind of 'Exploded'.
    The screw in pin that holds the pads and everything in has snapped (found it on the floor) and then all the pads and spring thingy has fallen out (couldn't find pads but found the pin & spring)

Sooo basically wanting to know if you get the screw in retainer with new pads?

Also while I'm at it, the first thing i did when i heard the 'ping' was slam the rear brake on (not a great thing to do) this obviously pushed the pistons out. But only one came out, how do you free up a stuck piston?

Thanks in advance
    Josh..

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You just get pads and the spring. You could probably use a split cotterpin as a replacement, if you buy the biggest that will fit in the holes, it should be strong enough.

snaps
    Free Member

I'd be carefull in case you've damaged the piston or caliper.

whyter

You can get a new pin at ukbikestore

handyman153
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies about the pin, i got a new one from my LBS, they managed to dig one out.

But regards to the stuck piston, is there any way to get it out. Or is it time for a new calliper?

Josh…

whyter

You could take the whole thing off and soak it in brake fluid which might free the piston. IIRC, XTR 965 post-mount calipers are cheap at CRC – about £25?

Olly
    Free Member

to unstick a stuck piston, push them both back as far as you can (or the one that does move, then hold the working one in place with a tyre lever, while pulling on the lever, this should force all the pressure over to the stuck piston, and it should just crack free!
    pump it out a bit, and clean around the bore before pushig it back in…

br
    Free Member

and a bit of preventive maintenance wouldn't go amiss…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do not soak it in brake fluid – shimano brakes use mineral oil

handyman153
    Free Member

Cheers for the help, just did what Olly said and its worked good.

And for B r-
    They are second hand, my second ride on the bike, so as far as i knew there was nothing to maintain.
    So not overly helpful…….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XTR M960 brake fail, what to do now?’ is closed to new replies.