Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XTR M9020 chainset Question
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So I need a chainset for a new build. I’d like to use an XTR M9020 1×11 setup with either a 30T or 32T ring (oneup or similar)

Looking on eBay to keep the costs down (new cranks+ring is about £250) there seem to be a lot of the double chainring version of the cranks vs the single ring. The question is, given I’ll be fitting an aftermarket ring anyway- is there any difference between the single and double cranks, other than the fact the double comes stock with a pair of rings? Can I just buy the double, junk the standard pair of rings and fit the oneup?

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

P.s i want to maintain about a 49mm chainline

twonks

The cranksets are both the same, with the little tabs that go on the end of the spider differing for single and double rings.

I bought a double after being told by the shop I could just swap out the rings for a single.

Found out I could, but these tabs made for double rings stopped the single ring mounting properly and meant i had to spend another £80 – yes really – for the correct tabs.

If I was doing it again, I’d spend a litle more and get the correct crankset.

PS. I used the genuine matching single ring. It might work differently with a after market n/w ring, but I suspect it will have similar clearance problems.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Thanks- I think I’ll be ok in that case as the aftermarket ring from oneup does away with the tabs, so if the arms are the same (which you’ve confirmed) it should all work.

rob2
    Free Member

I’ve been through this loop. I have two 9020 chainsets.

Best option by a million miles was…

9020 trail double
    Sell the rings
    Buy a superstar xtr specific ring

The xtr ring has threads so you just screw the chain bolts in and bingo.

They are slightly offset too which gives a better chainline. The xtr chainrings in my opinion and the 49mm chainline give really grindy feeling in the lowest gear.

Hope that helps.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Cheers all, going on the hunt for a trail double now!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XTR M9020 chainset Question’ is closed to new replies.