Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XTR M9000 shifters and XT brakes
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

The new xtr shifters seem to have a new i-spec standard, does anyone know if this can be used with i-spec b on XT785 brake levers. From a quick look it would appear no but I was hoping there may be a known workaround/fix/bodge without having to go with a clamp. Has anyone tried anything? Ta in advance.

sillyoldman

Nope – either get M9000/9020 brakes or a band on shifter.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Hmmmm….sometimes shimano really are not friendly.

sillyoldman

The new i-spec is much better in that there is angle adjustment independent of the lever now. Shame it won’t work on older levers, but the band on one is neat enough for it to not matter.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Ta, will have to go band as I can’t stretch to brakes as well. I am suprised there is not a workaround though.

shortcut

I can confirm – if will not work no matter how new your XT brakes are.

Lesson learned the traditionally hard way.

sillyoldman

I’d imagine the next version of XT will allow their use.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Another thought but possibly unnecessary. Would an m9000 brake lever work with a m785 caliper? I do realise this a very expensive way to achieve nothing but, well, just looking at options.

sillyoldman

Yup – no problem. The M9000 is the lighter magnesium/carbon Race version without tool-free reach adjustment and no servo wave. M9020 gets the easier adjustability, more power and a more durable Alloy master cylinder with carbon blade.

Either will work.

edward2000
    Free Member

I’ve just become a victim of exactly this. Shifter with a bar clamp the only option?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XTR M9000 shifters and XT brakes’ is closed to new replies.