Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XTR gear cables?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve seen a packet of cables online, listed as XTR. However, in the picture, they’re in a blue and grey packet. Anyone had XTR cables in a packet like this or should it always be the fancy looking black packaging.

iain1775
    Free Member

My XT ice tech brake rotors came in blue and grey packaging, rest of the brakes in black

davewalsh
    Free Member

Link ?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I just looked for xtr gear cable on eBay.

JoeG
    Free Member

I got an XTR drivetrain this summer, and everything was in black packaging except one thing. I can’t remember, but think that it was either the chain or cassette was in a blue and gray box.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not had anything xtr, but seems like all the new shimano stock is coming in grey/blue packaging.

coatesy
    Free Member

Just checked Madison’s site, and it comes in grey/blue packaging, but seems a rip off for what is SP41 outer, sealed caps, and stainless inner. I’ve got a workshop roll of SP41, and SP4 sealed caps, e-mail me if you want some.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. I’ve seen it for less than £17 quid posted which is no great saving if it’s standard Shimano stuff. I’d rather buy a workshop roll of sp41. However, if it’s proper xtr with the special coated wires, then I think it’s a good price and I’ll fill my boots.

DanW
    Free Member

Just buy a few m of SP41 (available in black or XTR grey) and pair with whatever inner takes your fancy (KCNC teflon coated or Transfil cheapies on Wiggle) and save some pennies. The outer comes with end caps too on CRC, not sure about from other places…

andypaul99
    Free Member

Sounds like dura-ace cables, which are essentially the same as xtr

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

except for the new Dura Ace which is specific in that the diameter is now smaller.

Lots of the Dura Ace groups from merlin didn’t come with cables and weren’t shifting properly when people stuck their own in there.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems there are two different Shimano cable sets out there which come in blue/grey packets.

One is XTR with ptfe coated stainless inners and several tongue/boot seals.

The other has non coated stainless wires and a single tongue/boot seal.

Some smaller cheaper online places seem to advertise one but send out the other. However, the mistake always seems to be in their favour. Just be careful out there.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Jagwire cables?

scotroutes

I have Jagwire cables on my El Mariachi. They is just cables, innit.

Can’t say they are any better or worse than the XTR cables I’ve used before.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Jagwire cables?

I have the Road Pro XL kit, update to the Racers, as it was the only compression free kit to allow for a full outer on the brakes. Not ridden them yet, but they are fun to route due to their stiffness.

If I didn’t need a full outer I would have kept the SP41 outers/stainless inners cables that came with the shifters, and probably not had any complaints.

Surprisingly, Amazon is the only place that sold the XL kit. They sell the standard sized Road Pro kit as well, in loads of colours.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XTR gear cables?’ is closed to new replies.