Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • XTR fist timer – so excited
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Thought I’d dip in… on the shifters

Can’t wait

singlespeedstu

U Ok hun?
    Seem to be spending some money of quality kit.
    Most unlike you. 😛

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ha ha shifters as far as i would ever go xtr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boltonjon

XTR shifters are about the only thing in the XTR range i’d consider

Tried their pedals a few years back – frightening performance. The worse was losing the connection between the peddle and the axle on a massive loop of the Peaks

XTR shifters do really help improve shifting performance though – much tighter tolerances 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

XTR fist timer

Thought I’d dip in

😯

jamj1974

Don’t go too deep – be gentle and patient… 😯

scaredypants

Best bit – Shifters were always lovely, though my last set was well before they changed from 9 to 10 speed.

Still going well on my daughter’s bike, the flashy cow !

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve held back…. for 20 years

Just imagine how that feels spending £53-80 on shifters, considering all the years I’ve held back?

njee20
    Free Member

Is that £53.80, or are you so over excited you can’t remember how much you spent…?

jmatlock
    Free Member

Where did you buy at that price Sir? Best I found was £59.99

nosedive
    Free Member

They are pretty good. Clamp band is a bit flexy though. Still would rather spend the extra than have to look at the indicator window on the xt

Northwind

I got some M970 cranks ages back. Wasn’t the most expensive bike part I’ve ever bought but it felt like outrageous money at the time. But they’ve been in about 6 different bikes and are in my Remedy now, ace.

canopy
    Free Member

i’ve got XTR shifters, older style. no other xtr stuff any more (did have a rapid rise rear mech for a bit). anyways shifter.. very pretty.. works great.. i don’t use the two-way shift at all.. had actually forgotten its there (you can push the ‘trigger’ with your thumb to use it like the main thumb shifter)

13thfloormonk

XTR front mech was one of the most noticeable improvements I ever made to a bike, none of the delay/rattle/drag I’m used to with any other sort of front mech.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I used XTR shifters on my last 3×9 set up. Very lovely to use and super crisp shifting. I enjoyed them so much I also bought an XTR rear mech which turned out to be made of butter and lasted a couple of weeks.

stevious

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the XTR shifters so much better than the others?

Genuine question as the ones I’ve tried (Deore, SLX, XT) have all felt the same to me (i.e. I press them and they change gear).

bomberman
    Free Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes the XTR shifters so much better than the others?

because they are XTR and cost twice as much as anything else silly! It’s got nothing to do with if you’re trying to shift on a steep hill or out of the saddle. They’re not just gears after all!

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’ve tried (Deore, SLX, XT) have all felt the same to me…

Could be White Finger?

andysredmini
    Free Member

XTR and XT shifters use bearings and SLX and below using bushings. XTR feel slightly nicer than XT but XT feels much better than SLX which I think feel horrible. Very cheap and plasticky. I cant argue with how well SLX and below work though so for me it just comes down to feel, bling and the XTR are more durable in my experience.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My XTR shifters were a 40th birthday present. I don’t think I would have bought them over XT otherwise.

Now using Saint which are super solid mega clicky and SRAM X1 which I have never even noticed, but work well.

ads678

Still would rather spend the extra than have to look at the indicator window on the xt

Just remove the window and save some cash!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘XTR fist timer – so excited’ is closed to new replies.