Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XTR FC-M970 BB SPACING – REMOVAL – Pace Rc200 f8
  • wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Having a problem with an XTR crankset. I’m not exactly a mechanic, but have built my own bikes in the past. Basically, I installed the XTR cups with the 2.5mm space, drive & non-drive. I then tightened the bolt to around 40nm (wouldn’t want to go much further). However, even once i have spun the little play collar (don’t know the name) there is still around 2mm of lateral movement all the way through the BB.

The bike is a 1998 Pace RC200 f8 and the BB is a 68mm XTR. I was thinking of chucking a few extra spacers in between drive & non-drive. However, i’m not sure if i did them up too tight, but now i seem unable to remove the cranks.. any ides for this?

Cheers in advance

Off to Wales on Monday so need to get this thing back on the road / trails…

Wilf

matthew_h
    Free Member

For a 68mm bottom bracket shell you need one 2.5mm spacer on the non-drive side and two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As above. Then there’s just enough adjustment on the play collar to fine tune the fit.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Do you have the special tool for removing 970 XTR cranks? You need that in order to get them off

wm4wm4
    Free Member

Hi GUys, thanks for quick response.

Which tool is it you are referring to. I can get the plastic thread protector out with my fingers, is there anything else?

ps. I’ll put another spacer in, thanks

Wilf

matthew_h
    Free Member

The plastic sleeve comes out and is replaced by the tool FC-35. It’s screws into the thread then you unwind the crank against it. You’ll really struggle to get them off without one.

If you’re anywhere near Hope in the Peak District then we’ve got a couple in the shop, 18 Bikes, and could help you sort it out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XTR FC-M970 BB SPACING – REMOVAL – Pace Rc200 f8’ is closed to new replies.