Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • XTR Crank Polishers –
  • Joe

My bike is starting to look shabby and this weekend i’m going to give it a spruce (I know i’m so vein…that i’ve even been looking at new bikes even though there is absoloutely nothing wrong with the old one – it just is starting to look very used).

One of the main problems is the SLX cranks which are starting to look scratched to shite. I therefore am going to give polishing my cranks a go this weekend.

I think aluminium polish and a polishing ball on a drill are the best steps…is there anything else I should use…I’ve been advised not to bother with the wet and dry.

Secondly has anyone tried spraying their cranks with a clear lacquer after polishing to prevent them from getting oxidized and scuffed again or am I wasting (even more) of my time? Whats the best thing to use?

P.S. picture above is of what I’m going to have achieved this weekend!

robinbetts
    Free Member

Ummm shiny!

Milkie
    Free Member

I’d etch something personalised on it, then cover with heli tape.

As for polishing, I’d just use some AutoSol polish and a rag, it won’t take too long.

anjs
    Free Member

Well dont take to much of and weaken them. They are hollow on the inside

Hairychested
    Free Member

I did my Hones with caustic soda, no problemo!

D0NK

Polished mine up a treat with wet and dry and then some fine stuff, very shiny. 3 weeks later they’re looking pants again. Worth the effort for a new build but wouldn’t bother after that.

convert

scratches won’t come out with just polishing unless they really are just surface deep.

We use a kit of this stuff at work for stainless and aluminum. They also do a satin finish kit which does stay better longer.

In my experience aluminum will oxidize very quickly if not protected with lacquer. We are very careful not to touch prior to lacquering as even clean fingers leaving prints that come up later under the lacquer.

AverageMark
    Free Member

I have a set of M960s the i polished up. Tried lacquer when i first polished them but it didn’t last long. They do scuff up and oxidize quickly, i just repolish them. Soon going to try an experiment. After lookng into it at work best option seems to be – polish – alochrome then get a few layers of lacquer on there within 12 hours. The alochromeing is a conversion coating that will allow the lacquer to bond properly to the surface.

Amos
    Free Member

If you wet and dry them, to get them smooth I can finish them for you but you will needto polish them monthly to keep them looking bling like mine above.

EDIT: Can’t load images at work?

Milkie
    Free Member

XTR polished cranks by mathew.sims, on Flickr

EDIT: Can’t load images at work?

You copied the link to your photostream, you need the actual .jpg location. On Flickr, Click Share, Grab BBCode, copy and paste here. 😉

Amos
    Free Member

Ta

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘XTR Crank Polishers –’ is closed to new replies.