Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • XTR brake caliper bore cap tool?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got a leaky seal in a M988 caliper. Thinking of buying a deore caliper and swapping the pistons and sealsover, but I’ll need to take the bore cap off for access.

Any ideas where I can get the correct tool from? It’s like a torx bit, but 5 spline rather than 6. Have tried googling both “5 spline male socket” and “xtr bore cap tool” with zero success…

Ta,

Jon

julianwilson
    Free Member

possibly a bit spendy (particularly if it doesn’t work!) but try a set of 5 point torx bits: the largest one might be about right but not sure if the ‘profile’ is same.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trident-T111600-5-Point-Tamperproof-Security-Torx-9pc-Socket-Set-1-4-Drive-/221869406649?hash=item33a87279b9:g:uOwAAOxy3NBSfidr

andysredmini
    Free Member

I Know very little about shimano brakes apart from the fact that minimal spare parts are available. You may find because they are not home serviceable that the tool doesn’t readily exist outside of shimano’s assembly factory.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Think xtr has a 2 year warranty, how old are they

spxxky
    Free Member

The XTR has 3 year warranty
    A deore caliper uses an alloy piston, you’ll need an SLX caliper as a minimum as XTR uses ceramic as does the SLX – they are very brittle so need to take care
    You should be able to replace the piston without removing the bore cap… I’m sure I did this a while back

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘XTR brake caliper bore cap tool?’ is closed to new replies.