Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • XTR 970 cranks as single speed-what chainring?
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Am in the process of getting the bits together for a single speed and it looks like I’ll be using XTR 970 cranks.
    What are my options for fitting a single chainring?
    Guessing it’ll be about a 32
    Cheers
    Steve

garlic
    Free Member

I haven’t tried them but Wolftooth rings seem popular. M970 has an outer/middle BCD of 104.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unless you meant 960?

970 takes any old chainrings (On One ringmaster, hope, surly stainless, and e-13 at various points in time on mine).

fatgit
    Free Member

Definitely 970
    Wasn’t sure if I needed special rings
    Cheers
    Steve

tomhoward

Nah you don’t, that’s one of the reasons they’re ace. I used a renthal on mine

Northwind

Yep, same here- got works and absoluteblack on mine, perfect. Great cranks, the removal is a bit of a faff mind but they’re strong and light-ish and pretty cheap.

(if you decide not to do 1×10, they take normal double and triple rings too- the only oddity is the inner chainring is offset, but it’s the same bolt spacing so you just need to add spacers to standard inner rings to make it work)

Superficial
    Free Member

The granny ring is special on M970 (It needs extra spacing, about 1.5mm I think) but the spider is just a normal 104 PCD, so any old standard narrow wide or ovoid or even *shudder* a normal round chainring will work just fine.

Great cranks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘XTR 970 cranks as single speed-what chainring?’ is closed to new replies.