Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • XTR 9020 Trail or SRAM Guide Ultimate Brakes
  • Basil

Which ones?
    Not an aggressive rider,
    I am fat
    For a Fargo which is used for everything from commuting to bikepacking
    Ideally fit and forget
    Price is not the deciding factor

jonnyrockymountain

Guide’s all day

philstone

Had both. Prefer my Formula Cura’s – work for me in the Alps and for Loic Bruni… Lighter than XTRs as well. And cheaper.

Trekster

Best part of £400 from CRC????? 😯 🙄

Do you really get that much for your/my ££££££
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/basket

Looking to replace XT which I have lost confidence in. Of my Shimano brakes on my RM, Ridley x Trail and SLX on my auld Blue Pig I am having a bit of a confidence crisis!!!! Failures on 2 out of 3 and no confidence in the other.
    Auld Hayes on another bike are still awesome in comparison!!!!

tomhoward

Got guide ultimates and XTR M975s, not tried M9000/9020

The ultimates are really very good indeed, I like them as much as the XTRs, but they m not sure how much better/if they are justifiably better than the guide RS (have them too), save for bit of weight, if that means much to you?

Edit, I’m not really fat (85kg, 6’1”), but the guide RS’s are attached to a very fat turbo levo FSR, all 40lbs+ of it, and they work well.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve had both.

If you want modulation and bite and brakes that don’t need much looking after, although they do go through brake pads quicker than others, go Guide Ultimates. 1 yr in, 2500km and just had their first bleed.

If you want absolute bite and don’t mind having to bleed them all the time because there are so inconsistent (and the fluid boils on really long descents), go XTR 9020.

It’s a personal thing but I will never have Shimano brakes again. I have the newer XTs on my hardtail and can never be sure they are actually going to work.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘XTR 9020 Trail or SRAM Guide Ultimate Brakes’ is closed to new replies.