Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • XTR 11 speed cranks and gearing
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Probs going XTR 2×11 on my new xc build

It’s a 29er and a bit unsure which cranks to order

General xc in Epping is my regular but with annual trips to the Lakes and Spain I need the gearing for the big hills when needed

Options are:

36.26t
    34.24t
    38.28t

I’m thinking 38/28 but is this right for a 29er?

MM

Onzadog
    Free Member

What bottom gear do you normally use on what wheel sized bike?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Difference between 26″ and 29″ is pretty much balanced out by 2t off the front for an equivalent gear inch.
    So thatd be like a 40/30t on a 26″ wheel.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Coming from a 26″ triple ring set up

Rarely use the granny. Only used in Spain, odd bit of Lakes.

adsh
    Free Member

Everyone’s legs are different but IMHO big hills need chain rings with a bit of leeway for fatigue. 28 on a 29er is 30 on a 26er which is only two less than most middle rings – that’s not big hill gearing for my legs.

With a 36 on the back then if you’re fit 26 is OK if you are a strong climber. If you’re doing 100miles and 5,000m I’d want 24. The 34 that comes with isn’t too bad – a lot race with 1×10 and 32t?

Onzadog
    Free Member

You can work it out if you know what the lowest gear was that you used on the 26″ wheeled bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you used to use the 22/34 bottom gear on a 3×9, with 26″ wheels, you’d need 24/34 from that list. Anything else will be harder work on the climbs (all other variables being equal).

njee20
    Free Member

Difference between 26″ and 29″ is pretty much balanced out by 2t off the front for an equivalent gear inch.
    So thatd be like a 40/30t on a 26″ wheel.

More like 10% rather than a flat two teeth – makes a bigger difference the bigger the chainring.

At the end of the day, it’s a personal choice. I’d have 28/38 of those.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends how fit you are and how you like to climb. Personaly I don’t mind standing up and mashing like it’s a SS so I’m quite happy with a 34t single and 11-36 on my 29er (its rigid too, so gets away with high gears, if it were FS I’d need low gears to sit and spin). I only use the 36t on short to mid length climbs, longer climbs I use the middle gears and stand up and mash/rest like it’s a SS.

If I was going 2x I’d want a low gear, otherwise it’s pointless, probably the 26t version, I find 24t too low, I can’t spin quickly enough to maintin any momentum over obstacles.

barney
    Free Member

Don’t forget the cassette on 2×11 XTR is 40-11 too…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘XTR 11 speed cranks and gearing’ is closed to new replies.