Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • XTR 10 speed mech for 36t cassette
  • pacerc100
    Free Member

Not really up on 10 speed so looking for some advice. I’m thinking of running a 36t cassette so would that work with a medium cage mech or only a long ?. None of the usual suspect shops seem to have any details in their descriptions. I would prefer a medium purely for cosmetic reasons but if I need a long then that’s what I will get. Next question is shadow or shadow+. As I only do XC I’m thinking shadow but happy to hear others experiences.

Cheers
    Mark

glacier79
    Free Member

Either long or medium cage will work just fine. If your after a very lightly used long cage xtr mech, I’ve one for sale on eBay if that’s any use to you?

orangeboy
    Free Member

With a triple front Chainset you will need the long to work properly
    Apart from that medium should do just fine

For xc I’d save the money and prob a little weight and have a shadow

JoeG
    Free Member

Go for the Shadow Plus! The clutch is awesome.

Med cage will work on 2×10 (unless you have a larger than normal spread between chainrings), but it does not have enough capacity for 3x.

I run XT 24-36 with a 11-36 cassette.

njee20
    Free Member

IIRC Shadow Plus is 7g heavier. Definitely what I’d go for!

citizeninsane
    Free Member

I’m running a 3×10 SLX setup, with 36t cassette. Got a medium cage and it’s fine. Definitely get the Shadow plus though.

JoeG
    Free Member

I’m running a 3×10 SLX setup, with 36t cassette. Got a medium cage and it’s fine.

citizeninsane – Are you sure about the med cage? ❓

campfreddie
    Free Member

if you are running an 11-36 with a 2×10, you should have a long cage mech (can’t remember the calculations, but i did them quite recently before ordering up a xt shadow+ mech). if you buy a medium, you will get away with it provided you don’t go for any silly gear combinations. with the right length mech (ie. long), you can get it as wrong as you like without knackering any components.

all the information is there on the shimano website about gear range etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘XTR 10 speed mech for 36t cassette’ is closed to new replies.