Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • xt wheels – maintenance
  • adrec
    Free Member

I’ve got myself a set of last yearsxt wheels, the ones with the lary graphics on the rim. I’ve heard they have to be stripped and greased on a regular basis to keep them running well. Is this true or is this way ott?

alexpalacefan

Maybe…

Get some nice thick grease, I use Super Web Grease.. Coz it’s thick it lasts much longer.

Great hubs though, look after them and they’ll last for years, and a change of bearings is just pence.

APF

adrec
    Free Member

Are we talking once a week, month or year. Got stxrc hubs on my old (98) rockhopper and they’ve never had anything done in way of maintenance.

jonba
    Free Member

They will last longer if you do. If they are cup and cone then you need to do preventative maintenance as it is not easy to fix them when they break.

I get much better life out of shimano wheels if I strip and regrease them before the first ride. They are built with really stingy amounts of grease.

Re-greasing is dead simple, takes about 30 minutes to do both at most.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP open them up and see. Depends on your riding.

phatstanley
    Free Member

depends how wet/muddy your rides are.
    i’m in scotland and i do mine maybe once a year.
    still can’t justify spending 3/4 X for something else….

DO get decent cone wrenches, though, i.e. ones with enough length for leverage. and an axle vice makes it an easier/quicker job, too.

adrec
    Free Member

I would imagine if it only takes 30 minutes and only needs doing once a year I’ll get the local bike shop to do it when its in getting the forks serviced.

alexpalacefan

Yeah, once a year should be OK. Maybe once every 6 months if it’s really filthy where you ride.

Find out what size bearing balls you have and get some in, I use this lot, Simply Bearings. Then if they’re worn you can change the balls there and then.

APF

cheers_drive

The rear one needs doing a 3-4 times a year, more often in the winter (or this summer). The sealing is not that good. I’ve don’t the front once in 3 years and it didn’t really need it then. Once you’ve done it one it’s a quick job but you need the correct cone spanners and a massive allen key to get the freehub off.

cheers_drive

The rear one needs doing a 3-4 times a year, more often in the winter (or this summer). The sealing is not that good. I’ve don’t the front once in 3 years and it didn’t really need it then. Once you’ve done it one it’s a quick job but you need the correct cone spanners and a massive allen key to get the freehub off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘xt wheels – maintenance’ is closed to new replies.